• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Optonica SM-4646 MIND BLOWN!

Metalownz

Audiophile? Getting there
I got a full Optonica system. Tuner, amp, tape deck, and turntable. Given to me for nothing. This is the best sounding system ive ever heard. Love the Dual transformers, and another for the preamp section. Its in NM condition. Any fans of this line of equipment?

I hear the SM-4646 is top of the line for that year for Optonica. This amp seems to have reserve power past 12 oclock on the dial knob. And the phono sections are the best ive ever heard on an amp or receiver.
 

Attachments

  • 20160512_062934.jpg
    20160512_062934.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 490
  • 20160512_013026.jpg
    20160512_013026.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 458
Register to hide this ad
I've always wanted to hear an Optonica system. It certainly looks as well built as it's dual mono competitors from Sansui, Onkyo and the like. I'm a current Sansui AU/TU-517 owner and a former Onkyo A-10 owner so I'd be curious about how the Optonica would compare.

Congrats on getting it all for nothing.
 
I've always wanted to hear an Optonica system. It certainly looks as well built as it's dual mono competitors from Sansui, Onkyo and the like. I'm a current Sansui AU/TU-517 owner and a former Onkyo A-10 owner so I'd be curious about how the Optonica would compare.

Congrats on getting it all for nothing.

It completely blew my mind. The sound is outstanding. It buries my Pioneer SX-980 in every regard. Get one now!
 
And thank you. I just lucked into it. A friend's father passed, and he had it sitting in his closet for 20 or so years. I De-oxited the controls and cleaned them all up. Sounds quiet, and barely breaks a sweat at loud volumes.
 
The catch about Optonica gear is that it's rare. It was made for only a few years and didn't sell very well (lack of name recognition) despite the high build quality. I've only ever seen it online, and I go to a lot of yard, rummage, garage and estate sales. Seriously, hold onto it or you might not run across it again.
 
The catch about Optonica gear is that it's rare. It was made for only a few years and didn't sell very well (lack of name recognition) despite the high build quality. I've only ever seen it online, and I go to a lot of yard, rummage, garage and estate sales. Seriously, hold onto it or you might not run across it again.

Ive heard about it being fairly rare. Mine is even more rare i think because its the triple speaker model. Delta Powered, and doesnt have the Sharp logo on it like most do.
 
I'm a big fan and own a few pieces ( Receiver, Tuner and cassette deck). Sure those separates sound good, Nice score!
 
015.JPG I had the Optonica SM-1515. I've worked on a lot of integrated amps over the last few years, when this came in, I prejudged the looks and the internals to be a rather bland unit. But when I started listening to it, I was stunned. The one thing that stood out to me was the loudness control. They really nailed it, it had the right amount of bass. I really like the looks. The internals are not very impressive, lots of loose wires, upside down circuit boards, but the sound is fantastic.
 
I'm a big fan and own a few pieces ( Receiver, Tuner and cassette deck). Sure those separates sound good, Nice score!

Its a nice system that im very happy with. The seperates if my first foray. Ive only ever owned receivers, so im happy with its sound in comparison.
 
View attachment 733721 I had the Optonica SM-1515. I've worked on a lot of integrated amps over the last few years, when this came in, I prejudged the looks and the internals to be a rather bland unit. But when I started listening to it, I was stunned. The one thing that stood out to me was the loudness control. They really nailed it, it had the right amount of bass. I really like the looks. The internals are not very impressive, lots of loose wires, upside down circuit boards, but the sound is fantastic.

The internals on mine is very impressive. Its built like a tank like say Pioneer or Sansui.
 

Attachments

  • 20160511_232537_HDR.jpg
    20160511_232537_HDR.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 346
  • 20160511_224420.jpg
    20160511_224420.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 335
That's a very SHARP looking system you have there. :D

I'd love to find some locally one day.

Ah the pun lol. Thank you. Im loving it so far. Havent gotten to jam it much due to work but ill have my chance this weekend.
 
I have an Optonica SA-5151 receiver that I have always thought was way under-rated. Sharp was late into the game with the Optonica line, starting around 1978, right about the time the whole stereo market was declining. Top quality build, you truly scored!

 
Last edited:
I've just restored an Optonica receiver and had much trouble getting the Darlington STK-70ii power packs. I think the 4646 uses S-100w packs which are also very hard to get. There's a post here about them.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ta-100w-follow-up-work-around.353919/
But even aside from the sound, they look terrific.

I believe most of the Pioneer SX 80 Series from 1978 also has the rare Darlington power packs as well. Thank god they arent easy to blow or id be in trouble.
 
Back
Top Bottom