• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Oracle Setup Information

DaveM

Active Member
I got an email back from Oracle with this URL for setup instructions.

http://oracle-audio.com/album/pages/06.html

It looks like I need this weight assembly to adjust the suspension. Of course I didn't get this with the table. I couldn't find a 1/8" rubber washer so I got two 1/16" rubber washers. I think the original one is metal and tapered so I'll be looking for an original washer as well as these weights. I would imagine Oracle has all this.

The two rubber washers help , It looks like the washer goes under the mat on the Oracle. I cleaned the mat, so far I've only tried one warped LP but it's still not resting on the mat completely in spots on the outer edge. If I tighten it too much it starts to raise the outer edge more in spots.

I bought some spare parts off a guy who had a complete MKII that UPS trashed, I emailed him to see if he has these weights and other stuff. Meanwhile I'll just be waiting for an answer from him and from Oracle. :rolleyes:

Dave
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
For whatever it is worth, my SOTA will not flatten all warped records at the outside edge.


Rich
 
Did you look at the instructions on adjusting the suspension where it talks about tuning it to 4 to 5 Hz, then 3.5 Hz.

Exactly how does one go about measuring the suspension tuning frequency? My Marantz 6300 sure was a breeze to setup compared to this one.

Dave
 
Another source of Oracle info is Brooks Berdan.

This guy is/was one of the top Oracle guys in the US.

His "Brooksmod" to the Oracle suspension replaced the PIA collar and weight system with a simplified system that made setup easier and improved performance.

The mod was reviewed in TAS many years back.

http://www.brooksberdanltd.com/

Click on "Other services..." and you can see a dismantled Oracle on his work bench.


cheerio
 
I haven't heard back from Oracle yet about the parts and the guy who has the parts table doesn't have what I need so I put this together for about three bucks

weights.jpg


I'm going to play with it and see if I can get it to balance out. Wish me luck.

Dave
 
Well, the washers and nuts weren't heavy enough. After strapping four 2 ounce pieces of lead to it and about 2 hours later I got it to bounce straight up and down as one unit. The bubble on the level stays within the circle so it's pretty close to where it should be.

Meanwhile, I got this email from Oracle

Dear David,

You don't need the counterweight, but if you want one $ 60.00
The price for the tapered washer $ 5.00
Please give us your location for shipping cost
Thank you
Lynn

They say I don't need the weight but offer no explanation and they want $60 for it. Without any weights the subchasis and platter wobbles back and forth, this can't be good. I'm waiting for his reply to explainn why I don't need these weights.

Also, I may be getting another Oracle real cheap, it's missing the dust cover and power supply. You can never have too many TT's.:D

Dave
 
oracle setup

the counterbalance weight is for fine tuning the bounce rate of the tt. you get the vertical bounce by changing the springs in the towers (w/ the arm & cartridge installed) arond until you get a pure vertical motion ( or almost pure). the weakest spring is front left, the strongest spring is front right in front of the arm, the back spring has an intermediate strength. oracle has spring color codes for common tonearms & i have a list of relative spring strengths, would this help?
 
maddog, is this the manual you have:

http://oracle-audio.com/album/pages/06.html

I only have the three springs that came with it, I'm aware there's different ones and will probably order them when I order some other parts I need.

I played around with the counterweight I made for hours and got it so the bubble on the level doesn't move at all when it's bouncing up and down, it's like the level is bouncing up and down around the bubble and the bubble remains still. Is this what I should be trying to achieve with the weights? The bubble is also centered of course.

Dave
 
oracle settup

that sounds like you have it dailed in perfectly. people write about oracles losing their settings ( on AA & A'gon) bbut mine has been stable ffor 8 or 9 mos now except when i've played w/ the tonearm. if your bounce is vertical, all yyyyou do is listen as i understand it & start fiddling w/ the cartridge adjust.
jon
 
Back
Top Bottom