• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ordered a Dual 704 2x anti resonator. Is it broke or good?

Maritimer

New Member
I bought a Dual 704 that was missing its counterweight (2× anti resonator). I read these break a lot. How can I be sure the one I received is good? The silver weight inside the black part is all loose. I think I read this is normal a few weeks ago. But what is normal vs broken?

Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • 20170117_205352.jpg
    20170117_205352.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 103
Register to hide this ad
The thing is rubbing on the guard piece, and the plastic part seems a bit crooked. This type of weight was never designed for the 1219/1229Q, but that is where its technology shines. What I am trying to say is that an ordinary weight from a 1219/1229 would work quite nicely, as your D.D. is so quiet, that a fancy counterweight does next to nothing.
 
I just read a comment in another thread by Davidf.

"At stand still, the plug should not touch the outer shell of the assembly."

You are also pointing that out. Does that mean it is broken?

I just wanted the original one for my 704, but if it's broken I'll get one off a 1219/29Q.

Got this off Ebay from a seller that parts out Duals. So if it's confirmed broken I'll have to contact him.
 
I bought a Dual 704 that was missing its counterweight (2× anti resonator). I read these break a lot.

There is a nice discussion on the anti-resonance counterweights, their design, and theory over on the VE Dual forum.
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=91236
In the discussion, there is even mention and a picture of the counterweight shipping spacer which protects the weight from damage during shipping. They are finely crafted delicate items.
 
The counterbalance from a 1245, 1246, 1249 or 510 would also work nicely. They are similar in design to the one that you have, but do not fail. However, do not remove the weight from the shaft - it is a real trick to get back together.
 
The anti-resonant counterweights have both a fixed weight and a loosely-suspended weight. They do not appear to be similar in design nor desired function. I have a 1245 right here on my bench [the Vario-pulley is frozen]. The aluminum-covered lead weight is indeed suspended, but no differently from that on a 1019 or 1219, etc...So let's agree to disagree.
 
I guess that I was referring to the appearance to the counterweight - the 1245's more closely resembles the original than the 1229's. Oh - BTY, the 1219 will not work - the bottom groove is squared, not an inverted "V" and will not slide past the the tonearm mounting points on the inside bottom.
 
The 1249 weight is not an improvement over the originally-supplied one. Just cooler-looking, if you prefer plastic over machined alloy.
 
Agreed, but it does look way better. When another anti resonator becomes available to me, I will go for it. I got the one I have based on your recommendation No Transistors!
 
Back
Top Bottom