• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Original Large Advent not so Original

eratosthenes

Active Member
Found a pair of "The Advent Loudspeaker" at the local trading post yesterday. $20

After getting these monsters home (they weren't kidding about 40lbs. each) I took them apart to find out why the tweeters weren't working. Bad caps, of course. However, I digress.

I got the grills off and noticed that these woofers may not be original. They are true 12" all paper (including surrounds) and have EIA codes indicating they are Utah-made. Definitely not the masonite and inverted foam of the advent woofers that are common. I don't know if this configuration is original or some kind of Franken-mod to avoid having to re-foam. What I don't know is how much this will affect the crossover points and presentation.

Suggestions?
 
Register to hide this ad
Replace the woofers with originals, masonite or metal framed. Nothing else will do.
 
Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I found a pair of large Advents in Goodwill for $5.99 each. Having never seen Advents up close before, I had no idea the woofers weren't original. I knew they would need refoaming, but for $12 I wasn't bothered by that. It wasn't until I got home with them that I discovered that the original woofers had been replaced with a pair of 12" Pyle Drivers of late-90s vintage. Also, the cabinets had been painted black. The original tweeters are intact and functional. I went down to Parts Express (which is local to me) and bought a refoam kit and replaced the rotten surrounds on the Pyle woofers. They really don't sound bad, certainly better than the Realistics they've replaced, but I'd still like to find some original Advent woofers.

You're probably right that someone just swapped out the woofers to avoid a refoam job. I hate to think what happened to the original woofers.
 
Back
Top Bottom