• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ortofon OMB body plus Stylus 5E...anybody tried it?

catman

Addicted Member
Banned
G'day all, I have an old Ortofon 'OMB' body and over the Christmas break I was able to purchase cheaply a couple of '5E' Styli.

The stylus will certainly fit the cartridge body, but how would it sound? :scratch2: Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
Register to hide this ad
Ive got this setup now, sounds ok, but nothing to write home about. They are very cheap though.
I have an OM20 styli in the mail, which i cant wait to try. I think the 5E is on par with the OM10 but slightly lower compliance?
 
G'day mate, thanks for that. It's interesting as although the Super OM body is supposed to be markedly better, according the the listed specs, the two bodies show 'exactly' the same specs! I wonder? :scratch2:

I suspect that the Stylus 10 is a better stylus than the Stylus 5E and probably slightly higher compliance than the 5E judging by the lighter recommended tracking weight of the Stylus 10. I think I'll try the OMB and the 5E anyway for the heck of it! Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
Felix: Specs shouldn't be the same, especially in terms of generator inductance and impedance (OM(B): 450 mH/750 Ohm; SuperOM: 580 mH/1 kOhm). In addition, the core pins on the regular OM(B) generator are just hollow, but don't yet sport the additional longitudinal slot.

And yes, the 5E is 20 cu compared to the 25 cu of the 10. Hence also the slightly lower tracking ability (65 vs. 70 µm).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Last edited:
G'day mate, that is interesting as the website I looked at do show exactly the same specs for both bodies, which I thought was a little strange. Thanks for clarifying that. :yes: Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
I think lini is referring to the Super OM rather than the regular OM non 'B' body. The OM and OMB should be the same. I own some of each and can not tell any difference at all. As for the difference in the 5E and the 10 stylus, I always assumed it was the same tip and cantilever, but a slightly different suspension. I don't have a 5E but I do have several 3Es and they sound different than the 10. What is the difference in the STY-3E and the STY-5E? I don't know. Would be interesting to know if the 5E compares favourably with the 10 or is more like the 3E.
 
tw: I thought the difference between the regular OM(B) and the SuperOM bodies is just what Felix was wondering about - 'cause the OMB's are just the same as the corresponding OMs, just delivered as bulk versions without fancy retail box...

Well, and as for the 3E compared to the 5E: I'd expect hardly a difference between these two. Spec'ed tracking ability is again a bit lower for the 3E, though - i.e. 60 µm. But that could just as well be just a difference in the selection grade - although I'd actually be rather surprised to see selection grading on that low a quality level...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
The 'B' in OMB I believe was only to signify that it was a cartridge sold in bulk packaging (or in bulk lots) so it should still be the same cart, minus the retail packaging
 
I had an OMB-5e on my Akai AP-Q41. At the time I replaced the stock Ortofon that came with the table (LM-10, I think) so I only was able to compare with the wornout stylus on that one but I thought it sounded just fine. It is considered entry-level but the 5e is fully upgradable with the 10, 20, 30, etc. stylus.
 
Back
Top Bottom