ssouci
Well-Known Member
I just rescued my parent's old Dual 1209 idler wheel turntable
it's fitted with an Ortofon VMS 5E MkII cartridge, with the original stylus
I plugged it into my vintage Fisher X-202 tube integrated amp (rebuilt, and has 2 white labelledRCA 12AX7 tubes in the phono section)
it plays, however compared to my usual CD player source, this is what I notice:
- high end is too exaggerated, and sounds shrill
- lacking in bottom end (bass)
- I need to turn the volume up a bit more for decent volume (vs. my CD player)
- picks up all the crackles & pops (but then again my old records are in generally poor shape, and I don't yet have a record cleaning brush...)
SPECS for Ortofon VMS 5E MkII:
https://www.ortofon.com/vms-cartridges-p-614
Q1: would getting a replacement stylus help, or should I just put in an altogether different cartridge? (I'm not sure of how good this cartridge even is)
Q2: if I get a replacement stylus, would a generic "white plastic" one from eBay etc. be OK, or is there a significantly better one to get?
Q3: can the cartridge body ever "wear out" due to age, and if, so, how can I tell? (this one has got to be from the 1980s)
thank you!
it's fitted with an Ortofon VMS 5E MkII cartridge, with the original stylus
I plugged it into my vintage Fisher X-202 tube integrated amp (rebuilt, and has 2 white labelledRCA 12AX7 tubes in the phono section)
it plays, however compared to my usual CD player source, this is what I notice:
- high end is too exaggerated, and sounds shrill
- lacking in bottom end (bass)
- I need to turn the volume up a bit more for decent volume (vs. my CD player)
- picks up all the crackles & pops (but then again my old records are in generally poor shape, and I don't yet have a record cleaning brush...)
SPECS for Ortofon VMS 5E MkII:
https://www.ortofon.com/vms-cartridges-p-614
Q1: would getting a replacement stylus help, or should I just put in an altogether different cartridge? (I'm not sure of how good this cartridge even is)
Q2: if I get a replacement stylus, would a generic "white plastic" one from eBay etc. be OK, or is there a significantly better one to get?
Q3: can the cartridge body ever "wear out" due to age, and if, so, how can I tell? (this one has got to be from the 1980s)
thank you!