• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ortofon

Mr. Snoid

Feats Don't Fail Me Now
I had never heard much about Ortofon cartridges before I tuned into this forum and then I bought a turntable with an Ortofon FF-15E cartridge. The company has been around awhile but does anyone know much about what separates their cartridges from some of their peers (albeit aurguably, I'm sure) such as Shure, Pickering, Grado etc..please enlighten me.
 
Register to hide this ad
Andrew - Ortofon has a wide range of cartridges, from "budget" MM (moving magnet) cartridges to the exquisite Jubilee MC (moving coil) cartridge. One of these days I'd like to get the Kontrapunkt B. Check www.needledoctor.com for nice pics & specs on a wide range of cartridges.
 
Not really looking to buy an ortofon...got one...just looking for some audio perspective. Ortofon cartridges versus peer cartridges
 
I have a VMS30 MkII that is about 20 years old from them. Compared to the mounted at-the-ready cartridges (Shure V15V Type-V, Shure V15xMR and a Stanton P-888s) the Ortofon is rather subdued and smooth compared to the others. Not real sharp but great for background music when friends-in-coversation are visiting.

Nice Barry White ctg....... :banana:
 
I have an MC20 and a Jubilee, both are well balanced and detailed. The jubilee has a very refined sound with great bass and highs. The MC 20 is very good on rock. I have a variety of other carts but I think the ortofons have "my type" of sound.

I would avoid using a 20 year old cartridge on records I wanted to keep. It could do some damage.
 
I currently have an Ortofon Rohmann on my RPM9 turntable.

It's a really superb cartridge and is at the higher end of their range. It is very detailed and well balanced so doesn't sound overly bassy or bright with too much treble. I don't know about the states, but here in Europe the Ortofon range of cartridges are very well regarded and most people that are into hifi have at least one in their lifetime with many like myself graduating from OM5/10s and OM510/520s upto Kontapunkts and the Rohmann.
 
Back
Top Bottom