• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

other components causing single tray cd player to skip?

illini

The Past is Alive
Ok. So.

My Sony cdp-291 and Technics sl-p370 have begun skipping and acting strange recently, but only when installed at a specific location: on top of my Sony tc-w490 cassette player and below my Onkyo tx-8050. The Onkyo is on the top shelf while the aformentioned cd players are on the lower second shelf, both on top of the Sony cassette player (at different times).

Has anyone else experienced cd players skipping and acting weird when placed in certain location? I'm playing both cd players tonight at a different locations and they are working great. :scratch2:
 
Register to hide this ad
Yeah,my Pioneer PD-8500 CDP,which my Trio Supreme 1 amp rests on and is connected to skips,but works 100% fine everywhere else.
All I can think off,is that it might be vibrations from my speakers as they're very close to the PD-8500 CDP.
 
Yeah,my Pioneer PD-8500 CDP,which my Trio Supreme 1 amp rests on and is connected to skips,but works 100% fine everywhere else.
All I can think off,is that it might be vibrations from my speakers as they're very close to the PD-8500 CDP.

Hmmm. I was suspecting emi (electro-magnetic interference) from the amp or tape player as the root cause. I have a few portable cd players w/line-out as a back-up and they have no issues in the same environment. :sigh:
 
Interesting.In the end,I disconnected the interconnects from the Pioneer PD-8500 CDP,and instead connected 'em into my Denon DCD-1560 CDP,which resides in another stack approx a foot away in-front from the Trio Supreme 1...It was perfect with no skipping whatsoever.
The strange thing I did notice is that the higher/louder the volume on the Trio amp (via Marantz speakers each side),the more the skipping would occur on the Pioneer PD-8500 underneath it.
If the Trio Supreme 1 amp had a headphone output,I would've had a better indication if it were the speakers or the amp that was making the CDP skip.
 
Hmmm. I was suspecting emi (electro-magnetic interference) from the amp or tape player as the root cause. I have a few portable cd players w/line-out as a back-up and they have no issues in the same environment. :sigh:

Most probable cause is vibration from your speakers. It is not surprising that the portable unit will not skip in locations where the home models do, since they are designed with more internal shock absorption and oversampling for use in shock-prone applications... cars, jogging, biking...
 
But my speakers are in a different room (than the cd player) (s)!

I'll investigate further...some day. Currently enjoying yummy cd playback. The cd player is now on an adjacent shelf next to the amp.

The root cause of this issue almost has to be emi/rf interference from my Onkyo tx-8050.

Lesson learned.

Thanks for the input, guys.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom