• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Output symmetry of AU-101

Mirilaj

New Member
Hi folks, I've been restoring my AU-101 and when measuring the output symmetry , i discovered this:

AU-101 output offset 2.jpg
The voltage measurements look good enough:

AU-101 sch 2.jpg

+ voltage.jpgmid voltage.jpg

And here is the interesting part. After reducing the asymmetry by increasing R814, the sound changed and I am not sure if it got better. IMHO It became saturated and restricted.
As a result of the asymmetry removal, the collector current of TR802 dropped a bit and I restored it by reducing R822. Still, the sound was worse and eventually I decided to keep the factory asymmetry.
Giving that the asymmetry leads to uneven clipping, do you think Sansui would allow this for the sake of a specific sound character? Or I get a bit crazy :D
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
If I remember correctly Au-101 is cap coupled, you can't measure offset without the load because the DMM is so sensitive it picks up minute leakage current through the capacitor. There is no offset with the speakers connected.
 
If I remember correctly Au-101 is cap coupled, you can't measure offset without the load because the DMM is so sensitive it picks up minute leakage current through the capacitor. There is no offset with the speakers connected.
The resistance load of the speakers is enough to drop the offset to 0. All of my cap coupled amps do this.
 
Off topic question. Have you measured the watt output of this 101?
Mine, after full resto will only output 13.2 into 8 ohm with both channels driven. A little shy of it's 15 watt rating.
 
If I remember correctly Au-101 is cap coupled, you can't measure offset without the load because the DMM is so sensitive it picks up minute leakage current through the capacitor. There is no offset with the speakers connected.
CrSens, you are right, AU-101 is cap coupled and I meant "asymmetry" instead of "offset". I will correct the post.
 
Hi folks, I've been restoring my AU-101 and when measuring the output symmetry , i discovered this:

View attachment 3285584
The voltage measurements look good enough:

View attachment 3285625

View attachment 3285596View attachment 3285597

And here is the interesting part. After reducing the asymmetry by increasing R814, the sound changed and I am not sure if it got better. IMHO It became saturated and restricted.
As a result of the asymmetry removal, the collector current of TR802 dropped a bit and I restored it by reducing R822. Still, the sound was worse and eventually I decided to keep the factory asymmetry.
Giving that the asymmetry leads to uneven clipping, do you think Sansui would allow this for the sake of a specific sound character? Or I get a bit crazy :D
If there is no provision for adjustment (trimmer) I would guess that's how they designed it.
 
Back
Top Bottom