• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ozone machine harmful to ss gear?

Jim H B

Well-Known Member
I picked up a early 70's Kenwood KR-6160 receiver on Epay, and just got it today. Overall, it's in great shape, but there is a faint smell of smoke, or just age. I have an ozone machine, which works great for getting the smoke odor out of drapes, carpet, etc.

Do you think exposing exposing ss gear to high ozone levels for an hour or two would hurt the electronics? Ozone can sometimes harm rubber.

Thanks for any opinions.

Jim
 
Register to hide this ad
I wouldn't think so, I have several of the Sharper Image Ionic breeze things scattered around the house, and have one for the car. In the early LaserJet printers, they had an ozone filter above the fan assy. as ozone was a by-product of the laser formation process, it was mounted on top of the AC power supply that would eat the BCR8PM-12L triac. I don't think the issues were related.
 
All receivers that are that old have a certain smell to them (the smell of victory). The best place to start is by giving it a general cleaning to get the dirt/dust out of the inside. I use rubbing alcohol on the circuit board, followed by deoxit on pots and the like after things get clean looking. I believe that the large old caps cause some of the smell if I'm not mistaking.
 
If you have tape decks with rubber drive, you don't want them any where near ozone generating equipment. Ozone will trash your rubber parts in fairly short order. "Ozone been belly belly bad por rubber" :)

My instincts could be wrong on this one, but, ozone may tend to reverse the good things you did when you did the DeOxit work on the pots and switches...

Rich P
 
Thanks guys. I'm going to give it a try (after blowing out the dust) for an hour and see what happens. I'll do it in a different room from my tape decks!

Jim
 
Back
Top Bottom