• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

P20 MDR low volume

NGreenst

New Member
I just obtained a Revox B795 and found the stylus was worn out, so replaced it with the AKG X15 MD.
The cart is the original Revox P20 MDR.
Works ok with clean sound, but volume is low. I have to turn up my amp about 75% to get a decent volume.
Anyone any ideas?
 
Register to hide this ad
I just obtained a Revox B795 and found the stylus was worn out, so replaced it with the AKG X15 MD.
The cart is the original Revox P20 MDR.
Works ok with clean sound, but volume is low. I have to turn up my amp about 75% to get a decent volume.
Anyone any ideas?

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

Does the AKG X15 MD stylus fit well on the Revox P20 MDR/AKG P6E cartridge ?

Which pre-amp are you using with the amp? :idea:
 
Last edited:
Its a Revox B780 receiver It has worked well for years with a Revox B790 deck and more recently another turntable that replaced it. So I have no reason to believe the problem is with the receiver.
In your opinion is it common for MC cartridges to fail and lose gain with age?
 
In your opinion is it common for MC cartridges to fail and lose gain with age?

The cartridge you have is MM, not MC.
It is possible for magnets to lose strength but I'm not sure if that's the explanation in this case.
So you have an alternative cartridge to try?
 
No not at this time, I would have to purchase another compatible cartridge which has the same mount fitting, and i'd need to research that. I know the ortofon VMS20E has been used for the revox linear tracking turntable but I'm not sure if the mount is the same. I know that fitting cartridges to this deck can be tricky.
Meanwhile perhaps fit the original stylus which was awfully distorted and presumed worn out, and check the volume output.
 
Back
Top Bottom