• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pairing 4 ohm speakers to a receiver rated for a minimum of 6 ohms?

SweetRolls

New Member
To keep things simple, I merged my PC setup with my stereo system, a Pioneer SX-50. I thought it would be nice to hook up some JVC SP-UX1000GR speakers (from a micro-system) to the B channel of this receiver, so I can enjoy my video games with this receiver. However, these JVCs do have a 4 ohm impedance. Is this a bad idea?

Also keep in mind that;

1. These JVCs are a single 3.5" full-range driver, and I have them paired with a Sony subwoofer, so they don't produce bass below 80Hz. The subwoofer doesn't have a crossover adjustment for the speakers, unfortunately.
2. I do have an active cooling fan (AC Infinity) exhausting heat from the SX-50.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
are you going to run them at ear splitting levels? If yes, then no. If no, then yes.
 
are you going to run them at ear splitting levels? If yes, then no. If no, then yes.

Bad idea with that particular receiver.

If you read the manual, they're pretty adamant about 6 ohm minimum, to the point that it series couples A + B speaker outputs.

I guess this topic is up for debate, so I'm just going to find some 8 ohm speakers I can use instead, to lean on the safe side. I would hate to lose this receiver. Thank you both for your input.
 
looking at the back of the receiver it looks like its rated to drive 2 pairs of 6 ohm speakers running simultaneously, If you're only using one pair at a time then 4 ohms should be fine...(unless the speaker A + B switch has the speaker outputs in series) Even so, if your not going to push it hard I see no issues.

EDIT Just saw in manual they are connected in series. So @bowtie427ss is correct.
 
Back
Top Bottom