• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pairing 9090db and ar3a

Rcn99

New Member
Anyone have firsthand experience using a 9090db with a pair of ar3a’s? Have seen some threads saying the 9090dbs can handle 4ohm speakers if you’re careful, but I’m more concerned about how the ar3a’s can dip to 2ohms. I don’t plan on running multiple pairs of speakers and I plan on listening at normal volume.
 
Register to hide this ad
Anyone have firsthand experience using a 9090db with a pair of ar3a’s? Have seen some threads saying the 9090dbs can handle 4ohm speakers if you’re careful, but I’m more concerned about how the ar3a’s can dip to 2ohms. I don’t plan on running multiple pairs of speakers and I plan on listening at normal volume.
I have a older pair of AR-3's (~1965) not the "a" version.
I have the same question.
What is the difference in the "a" version? Tweeters/midrange?
 
The Sansui 9090 and 9090DB can handle a 4 Ohm load and you can safely run those speakers with the unit using one of the speaker selections: a, b or c. That's correct tutor_turtle, the Acoustic Research AR-3 has a different midrange and tweeter, although that doesn't change the 4 Ohm load rating that both the AR-3 and AR-3a present.

When using the a+b or a+c speaker selections, each set of speakers hooked up to a, b or c should be 8 Ohm rated. When two sets of 8 ohm speakers are run at the same time, a+b, the two 8 Ohm loads combine to present a 4 Ohm load to the unit.

Typical advice when the stereo is being run, is to hold your hand at the top/back of the unit where the unit displaces heat and check how warm / hot it is when you're running your unit. If it's getting HOT then you should investigate why. Cranking the volume loudly for an extended period of time will cause the back area (heatsinks) on these units to heat up. >If the unit has never been recapped/restored you might go easier on it. Understand how your listening levels affect the heat output by checking at varying times and volumes. If you're concerned, keep it at a moderate level. Be sure to have a nice amount of space above the unit so it can breathe.

I run AR-3s on my restored 9090 routinely. I love having the a, b and c speaker selector as the 9090 feeds multiple speakers in the house, but I'm careful what loads I'm presenting when I crank it. It sounds great :- )
 
Back
Top Bottom