• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Paisley Research AE500 replacement woofers

veloceleste

Active Member
I have a pair of of AE500's with mismatched woofers; one original and one with a generic replacement woofer. I know the original woofers were proprietary bextrene coned units made by audax for PR. Is there a way to determine specs/parameters of the woofer if someone had the proper equipment? I've searched and searched and can't find anything other than a spec sheet for the speakers from an owner's manual. The cabinets are beautiful and although the speakers are quite inefficient, they sound pretty good with their SEAS tweeter. I would like to find a replacement pair of woofers that might be close to the originals but don't want to just throw any old woofer in there. Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
I eventually found some specs online and replaced the woofers with something that had specs close to the originals as far as I could tell. They were actually inexpensive no name woofers that's dead up sounding pretty good. It's been a while since I sold them so if I still have paperwork on the woofers I'll let you know. Unfortunately the Paisley Research speakers don't have a large following.
 
From reading up on Paisley speakers over time, I suspect Ian Paisley cooked up some pretty interesting crossovers for those Bextrene woofers. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't had my AE-400s apart to check out the drivers and crossover. I wonder however, how far off you'd be with a pair of 'generic' Audax woofers. Might be a fair bit better than some no-names.
 
Back
Top Bottom