• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Paradigm Studio 100 v2

There are a pair of Paradigm Studio 100 v2 in my area for sale $750.
I am looking for a bigger sound stage and more midrange than my current Axiom M50s. I am also looking at an ebay auction for a pair of Axiom M80s.
My set up is:
Beogram TX TT
ADCOM GTP 750 GTA 7400 pre/amp
mainly stereo but also some 5.1 HT
B&W ASW 1000 SUB

Room 65X20.

Thoughts....?
 
Register to hide this ad
Studio 100 v2's can put out some sweeet sound for sure. They're one of those speakers that will work pretty well with pretty much anything but sound better and better as you put better equipment in front of them.

Bryan
 
What do you think of the Paradigms vs the Axiom M80s?
Is the price right? Maybe I can talk the person down?
THese are the older ones, they were updated at some point apparently.
 
Can't say on the price. I'm not up on the used market value of the Paradigms. From a purely performance standpoint, if you've got the electronics, the Paradigms IMO are superior to the Axioms.

Bryan
 
I think $750 is probably close to the current asking price for the v2. You may be able to get down a bit more, depends on how bad the person wants to sell. Bear in mind these speakers were about $2K when new, a little more maybe, depending on the finish.

I paid less than $750 a few years ago for my 100v2, but the cabinets have some dings in them. Nothing bad enough to affect the sound or the drivers, but enough to lower the value.

Studio 100s like amps that can deliver good performance into lower impedances. They drop below 4 ohms from roughly 55Hz to roughly 200Hz, with a low of around 2.5-3 Ohms somewhere in between.

There have been a number of revisions to the entire Paradigm Studio line of speakers. I think they are on v4 or v5 now. I believe the current version goes for about $2,500/pr.

FWIW, Stereophile has a review on the 100v2.

I think they're great speakers, but I've never heard the Axioms in comparison.

Bear in mind the 100s are big speakers. Roughly 10" taller, a bit wider, and a bit deeper than your M50s. Also, they weigh about 110 lbs. each.
 
I think $750 is probably close to the current asking price for the v2. You may be able to get down a bit more, depends on how bad the person wants to sell. Bear in mind these speakers were about $2K when new, a little more maybe, depending on the finish.

I paid less than $750 a few years ago for my 100v2, but the cabinets have some dings in them. Nothing bad enough to affect the sound or the drivers, but enough to lower the value.

Studio 100s like amps that can deliver good performance into lower impedances. They drop below 4 ohms from roughly 55Hz to roughly 200Hz, with a low of around 2.5-3 Ohms somewhere in between.

There have been a number of revisions to the entire Paradigm Studio line of speakers. I think they are on v4 or v5 now. I believe the current version goes for about $2,500/pr.

FWIW, Stereophile has a review on the 100v2.

I think they're great speakers, but I've never heard the Axioms in comparison.

Bear in mind the 100s are big speakers. Roughly 10" taller, a bit wider, and a bit deeper than your M50s. Also, they weigh about 110 lbs. each.
I agree on the price. Maybe if they are mint and have the original boxes.

I've listened to a pair of the V2's at a fellow AK members house for an extended period and they are terrific speakers with really tight bass. The high end might be a touch bright for some but they were fine for me. The V3's and up have a different configuration but with similar sound, maybe a bit smoother on the top and even better bass. I've gone in a different direction with speakers but for a while I was seriously considering buying some V3's.

Let us know if you buy them and good luck.:thmbsp:
 
I talked the lady down to $650. She is a widdow and her husband was an audiofile, now she is getting rid of her late husband's stuff. Apparently it has some dings in the finish. I am soing to look at(and buy?) them today or Firday. As soon as I can find a strong friend to help move these 100 lb monsters.

I am still wondering if my ADCOM 7400 150 per channel into 4 ohm will run these well. I was under the impression that the rating on the ADCOM were very conservative and thus should have no problem. Recall i have a big room with exercise equipment in the middle, so I need higher SPL whiile exercising, especally bass (lower Hz need more power).

I have never even made the amp warm with my Axiom M50s.
 
$600 or $650 is what I paid for mine, so of course, I think you got a decent deal.

I think your Adcom will be a good starting point. The speakers are 90 or 91dB sensitivity so they don't really need a ton of power to play decent volume, but they do need that beefy amp to keep up the output through that low impedance dip.

Some people think the speaker is bright or forward sounding, but I attribute that to the amp or receiver used with the speakers. If the amp can't keep up in the range of the low impedance dip (55Hz - 200Hz) I believe that contributes to the comments about forward/bright sound.

Also, even though they look pretty impressive with the grills off you really should leave them on. Paradigm specifically designed the speaker to work best with the grill in place. It improves the off axis response smoothness, from what I recall.

I look forward to hearing your opinion of them.
 
Back
Top Bottom