• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Paradigm vs PSB vs JBL

buschy2586

New Member
Hi all,

I am considering upgrading my HT systems with hopes of creating a nice two channel hifi as well.

Currently, I have a JBL setup:
JBL EC 35 for the center
2 JBL N 28's as the mains
2 JBL N 24's as surrounds
Polk PSW 111

I LOVE the center channel and this is why it's hard for me to consider replacing. I have a few leads on a Paradigm and PSB systems.

PSB
PSB Image C40
2 PSB Image T55's as the mains
2 PSB Image B15's as surrounds

Paradigm
Paradigm CC-3300
2 Paradigm 11SEMKIII's as the mains
2 Paradigm ADP-350's as surrounds

Now, I know the Northridge line from JBL was definitely not top of the line. I was thinking either of these two systems would be an upgrade just for the fact the full range towers should put the N28's the shame. I am having trouble finding info on the PSB and Paradigm systems as they are on the older side as well....

Are either of these two options an upgrade? I am hooking them up to an onkyo tx-nr 608 for the home theater setup and hoping to also run the 11SEMKII's / PSB Image T55's with a Pioneer SX-780 for my hifi.

Main question would be which setup would be more of an upgrade, PSB or Paradigm?

Also, if anyone could help provide info on these two options, it would be much appreciated. I know the Image line is the more affordable line from PSB but don't know much about the Paradigm line.

Thanks in advance!

Scott
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't count myself as a JBL fan. Not a hater but they just... aren't my thing.

I've had PSBs and Paradigms and think they are generally solid values and are good at covering a range of genre. I currently have a pair of PSB Image 2Bs that I think are among the best budget stand-mound speakers I've ever owned and in the conversation for best for the value in that price range. I had a pair of Paradigm Studio 20s when they were new. Thought they were very good as well. We also had Linn Tukans, B&W CDM1 SEs at approx the same time and thought they each had their strengths and in fact, we nearly bought a pair of the then-current 7SE Mk IIs when we first went to having separate music and HT systems.

Having said that, I never used any of those in a home theater setting as we had a separate home theater. Those were in strictly music systems. With home theater, dynamics play a bigger role. For example, I'd not think to use those Linns in a HT.

Having said all that, I think I'd go for the PSB system over the Paradigms. Haven't heard any new Paradigms from that series in several years but generally I think I prefer the PSBs once you get over the $300 or $400 (new) price point. I doubt you would go wrong with either set and I know that I'd personally prefer either set to the JBLs.
 
I have several sets of Paradigms, one being the 9semkIII's, another the 3semkIII's both are nice speakers.

The 9se are great and for 2 channel probably the best set I own right now. a buddy had the 11's but that was when they were new. He used the 11's in his HT set up and they imaged so well without a center channel you'd swear there was one there. ( he had a speaker grill in the center position of his wall and would have to remove the grill to show the empty hole in the wall to prove to people there was nothing there) .

Not much help, but I thought I'd toss in what i can.
 
Back
Top Bottom