• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Parasound or Adcom preamp?

GvilleDenon

New Member
Looking for a good preamp under $1000 for 2 channel stereo. Will only have turntable and cd player hooked to it. I've looked at the Parasound Classic 2100 and the Adcom GFP-815. Any suggestions on which sounds better? Or other options? Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
When i was looking for a new amp and preamp last year i was considering both companies. I emailed Adcom some questions and never heard back from them. That there made me wonder about their customer service. i ended up with Parasound.
 
Very limited sample size - I demo'd at the same place thru the same speakers Parasound, Adcom & another I don't remember. The Parasound sounded detailed but thin to my ears on that day. I didn't like it but obviously, many do. I liked the Adcom set up that day & have owned middle of the line Adcom equipment & liked the sound. Trust your ears.
 
For your budget you can easily get Parasound Halo P3 preamp.
Used usually go for about 400-500 hundred. I have one paired with Halo A23 and had several Adcoms Not even close IMHO.
 
+1 on Halo. Outstanding piece of gear. Besides:

- Parasound is still alive and kicking if you ever need help (or parts).

- Adcom is alive in name only. The original company is long gone.

Personal opinion: every Parasound I've ever heard was clean and neutral, but not sterile (like Bryston). Adcoms, OTOH, always seemed a bit much in-your-face for my tastes. YMMV.

Happy trails,
Larry B.
 
Although you would need a phone pre look for a Adcom 750 pre. I have one and love it, Stereophile Class A. You can find a decent phono pre and then run the Adcom in passive mode. It's a great sounding piece. I run a Klyne phono pre into mine.
A Nelson Pass design.
 
I can vouch for Parasound from my experience, high quality products, great sounding and customer service/support is top notch.
You can't go wrong with Parasound.
 
I am running Parasound Zpre2 and Zphono USB - very happy with this combo. A step up to the Halo could only be a good thing.
 
If the Parasound pre-amp you're thinking about buying is anything like my little Parasound Zamp, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the musicality and depth of sound it will produce.
 
Back
Top Bottom