• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Parasound P/DD-1500 Digital Surround Decoder

It's the "m" variant, the better one. The only bad thing is that the input is balanced, so I am basically feeding the unbalanced signal on one pin and I am grounding the other.
Not sure if that's why I pick up that much hum noise, in the past I didn't used to.
This is loopback on the E-MU, taken at the same day, just a cable between in and out. Note that is missing the 120Hz and other even harmonics:
E-MU 1820m.PNG

I have a previous measurement taken for my Denon DVD-2930 some 4 years ago and was way less hum noise present:
DVD2930_-3dB.PNG

Wonder if the capacitors in the E-MU are going dry too...
 
Last edited:
Fakes here too. Trust Chinese sellers anymore...
Note the inscription of the grade letters - painted after the selection process, not laser engraved the same like the rest of the lettering.

What I have in the Parasound:
Original_J.JPG

What I thought bought (later realized that is a stock photo that everyone on Alibaba adds their text over):
Order_enlarged.jpg

What I actually received. Fake PCM63P K2 - polished top, laser engraved, yellow-ish colored letters:
IMG_20160902_175916324.jpg
 
Last edited:
Those "K" are real IMO, based on the painted K that looks like my original J and the fact that the top is not smooth (sanded down).
Not "K2" like the others pretended (BB datasheet stops at "K"). For those I got a refund already, minus a $2 fee... Oh well.

I tested the "K" ones and they measure OK, even if the pins show that are not new:
THD=-0.0019% (-94dB).
Distortions_09.2016_K.JPG
 
Last edited:
I can hear more details in passages that have low-level but high frequency content - that is usually masked by higher-level mids.
Like I can pick up a cymbal decay longer when it is "under" a loud guitar or voice. Grand piano tones sound more natural also.
Of course this is my personal opinion. Most of my music is classic rock, and I am listen trough Grado headphones.
 
Mind PMimg me a link to where you bought the PCM63K?

I can hear more details in passages that have low-level but high frequency content - that is usually masked by higher-level mids.
Like I can pick up a cymbal decay longer when it is "under" a loud guitar or voice. Grand piano tones sound more natural also.
Of course this is my personal opinion. Most of my music is classic rock, and I am listen trough Grado headphones.
 
Hello SoNic67,

I just have become an owner of beautiful Parasound P/DD-1500. I bought one at Ebay for 130e. I wrote that you had a service manual for the machine. Would you like to send me the manual , please. My email : notebook@netbiz.com.pl .
I'm looking forward to your reply.
 
Ooold thread... but just wondering if anyone thinks it's still worth swapping PCM63P-J chips with the K spec variants.. I found some that I am 99% sure are real but they're $250. I can also get an old CD player that uses a pair of K grade chips for about $350 that I can source.

I know the THD is a bit better on the K according to the specs, but without MSB adjustments, I wonder if it's even worth it at that price. The J's sound amazing already, so maybe I'll just hold off until maybe I find a super cheap deal on the K.

Also not sure if my Paraound D/AC-1000 has MSB adjustments but I'm pretty sure they don't.
 
Last edited:
I am now a happy owner of a modified Parasound PDD1550 model. I did let it modify by an engineer in Taiwan and it has now a complete new 5.1 digital output board. 1 for L/R and 1 for Center / Sub and 1 for Surround L/R.
The PDD1550 is very rare and has also DTS decoding. I connected it on 3 Parasound DAC2000 models also modified with new kind of ultra DAC chips from a second engineer from Italy that was busy for 15years improving the Ultra Analog chips used by Parasound. The difference is an unbelievable big step up. I also modified the PSP1500 pre amp with 6 cinch inputs instead of the DB25 plug. I always wanted this modification. Because in the past we sold MSB in the Netherlands.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4802.jpeg
    IMG_4802.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4806.jpeg
    IMG_4806.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4807.jpeg
    IMG_4807.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4803.jpeg
    IMG_4803.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
This is the modification of one of the three Parasound DAC2000 models. The old one did have heat problems because it was a melted chip and with the use of 24bit signals it got more problems. Antonio an engineer from Italy replaced the original chips by used only the original Ultra Dac’s chips that are also used by Parasound on an own made PCB. Now after 100 hours playing I measured it with a non modified and also this was a unbelieveble step up in sound. Antonio worked 15 years on this chip.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4816.jpeg
    IMG_4816.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4817.jpeg
    IMG_4817.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 07de021d-0158-4b30-83aa-273a042cdf08_Original.jpeg
    07de021d-0158-4b30-83aa-273a042cdf08_Original.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 4
  • ffc6c404-9dcb-4b9d-a53b-dc611c578cf5_Original.jpeg
    ffc6c404-9dcb-4b9d-a53b-dc611c578cf5_Original.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
This is the modification of one of the three Parasound DAC2000 models. The old one did have heat problems because it was a melted chip and with the use of 24bit signals it got more problems. Antonio an engineer from Italy replaced the original chips by used only the original Ultra Dac’s chips that are also used by Parasound on an own made PCB. Now after 100 hours playing I measured it with a non modified and also this was a unbelieveble step up in sound. Antonio worked 15 years on this chip.
The Parasound D/AC-2000 is my main DAC along with other matching Parasound components from that same series. Tell me more about this D20400A clone: is it for sale and how much does it cost? My unit is working perfectly and sounds amazing, but I'm interested in this just in case the D20400A ever fails.

There's a Chinese chip designer who has recently released a D20400A clone as well. His company is called Datel and he calls it the D20400PLUS. It can be found on ebay.

Also, I posted the following thread about my D/AC-1100 and the PCM63P-K chips I just ordered from ebay from a Chinese seller with 12,000 transactions and 100% positive feedback. This thread had very helpful information from @SoNic67 about how to distinguish fake PCM63 chips from real ones. I am praying that the ones I ordered are real:

 
The Parasound D/AC-2000 is my main DAC along with other matching Parasound components from that same series. Tell me more about this D20400A clone: is it for sale and how much does it cost? My unit is working perfectly and sounds amazing, but I'm interested in this just in case the D20400A ever fails.

There's a Chinese chip designer who has recently released a D20400A clone as well. His company is called Datel and he calls it the D20400PLUS. It can be found on ebay.

Also, I posted the following thread about my D/AC-1100 and the PCM63P-K chips I just ordered from ebay from a Chinese seller with 12,000 transactions and 100% positive feedback. This thread had very helpful information from @SoNic67 about how to distinguish fake PCM63 chips from real ones. I am praying that the ones I ordered are real:

Hi Karl,
The price from Antonio for the modification is around 250 euro to create the new PCB. But you have also to buy 2 original AD1862 Ultra DAC chips and that is not easy because indeed the Chinese copy's are cheap but terrible in sound on Ebay.
You have to find a trustful vintage supplier and than the original chips (pic1) will cost each 120 euro at this moment and you need 2.
I must say i have at this moment 3 DAC2000 at home where are 2 models now modified but the PCB from Antonio is after 100hours playing time much better as the original chips. I need three because i did also let modify the PDD1550 Decoder DAC with three digital outputs (pic2) (pic3) and let an engineer from Taiwan create a complete new Digital output board that i can listen Dolby Atmos in 5.1 on three separate DAC2000 convertors.
Also i did let modify the PSP1500 and unplugged the DB25 5.1 entrance and reroute them to the 6 yellow video inputs that the 5.1 signal is going in with cinch connectors.
 

Attachments

  • AD1862.jpg
    AD1862.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4803.JPG
    IMG_4803.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4802.JPG
    IMG_4802.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom