• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Parasound P5 stopped working overnight

rkidLG

Member
Hey everyone, wanted your advice on something. My Parasound p5 preamp seems to have stopped working overnight. It's plugged into a power surge strip with other stereo components which all seem to still all be working properly. No sound is coming through the speakers and through the headphone amp on the preamp. It turns on and I hear all the relay clicks but no sound. I opened it up and cleaned it up with some deoxit. No soldering connections looked bad/cracked, there were no noticeable issues on the boards, and the fuse is still in tact. I left it off and let it sit for a while too. Any ideas or advice for troubleshooting here? I don’t have the gear to measure anything inside. My headphones have sound on my cd player and both tuners, turntable still spins, and my power amp is turning on properly. I find it funny the newest piece of my system is having an issue. Any advice or experience would be appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
Hey everyone, wanted your advice on something. My Parasound p5 preamp seems to have stopped working overnight... I find it funny the newest piece of my system is having an issue...

Might it be a recurring issue when you had problems with it back in July?

 
Might it be a recurring issue when you had problems with it back in July?

This last post was me setting up my system for the first time after moving and I hooked it up incorrectly to my power amp. It was a super dumb mistake. It’s been hooked up and working perfectly untouched for several months now but I can’t get any sound to come through now.
 
I am not familar with the details, but have you triple checked you did not accidentally engage a tape monitor or external processor function that would prevent passing the signal if nothing was connected to those jacks?

A standby function, mute, or reconnected it properly, presuming you had it disconnected when you opened it for inspection?
 
I am not familar with the details, but have you triple checked you did not accidentally engage a tape monitor or external processor function that would prevent passing the signal if nothing was connected to those jacks?

A standby function, mute, or reconnected it properly, presuming you had it disconnected when you opened it for inspection?
There are no tape monitor options on the preamp. I had it disconnected for inspection. I have it unmuted, reconnected properly no standby function. If that’s what you’re asking.
 
Do you have anything with a volume control that you could plug directly into the amp in order to verify that it is indeed the preamp that is the issue.

You wouldn't want to plug something into the amp that has a strong signal as that might end up blowing speakers.

My guess is that there is an issue with the preamp since you said that the headphone amp on it was also not working.
 
Do you have anything with a volume control that you could plug directly into the amp in order to verify that it is indeed the preamp that is the issue.

You wouldn't want to plug something into the amp that has a strong signal as that might end up blowing speakers.

My guess is that there is an issue with the preamp since you said that the headphone amp on it was also not working.
My cd player and both my tuners have volume control for headphone use. I do not have anything else that can act as a preamp.
 
My cd player and both my tuners have volume control for headphone use. I do not have anything else that can act as a preamp.
Yeah so CD player should work then. Turn the volume all of the way down before hooking it up directly to the amp. Then slowly turn up the volume. If you get sound then preamp is the issue...
 
My cd player and both my tuners have volume control for headphone use. I do not have anything else that can act as a preamp.
Cd player hooked up to power amp gave me sound. Doesn’t seem like there is a way to factory reset the preamp. Looking like I’ll have to call a repair shop.
 
Back
Top Bottom