• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Partial Solar Eclipse in Germany

Judas Priest

Super Member
Ever wonder what a partial solar eclipse in northern Germany looks like?

Grey :(

I used to be really interested in Astronomy, but that has changed since living here. It´s either cloudy or, in the summer when the chances of clear skies are higher, it doesn´t really get dark because we are so far up north.

I have been able to observe 2 or 3 partial eclipses here in the last 29 years, and I also was lucky enough to see BOTH Venus transits a few years ago :)
 

Attachments

  • resized_Sonnenfinsternis Norddeutschland.jpg
    resized_Sonnenfinsternis Norddeutschland.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 24
Register to hide this ad
I can sympathise. Two nights ago at my mother-in-law's house, I saw the full arc of the Milky Way for the first time in 4 or 5 years. I miss it. Here in the city we can see the bright constellations when the moon isn't up, but it's not the same thing.

Funnily enough, I can make out the partial eclipse in your photo better as a thumbnail.
 
Well - as I expected, it was no thrill, but it was sort of remarkable anyway. There was not a single cloud in the sky so I could enjoy the solar eclipse to it's full extent. I did not look into the sun, and that is the reason why I am still able to be an active member here... :D

We got a 67% solar eclipse here in the South West, in the Schwarzwald, however it was pretty interesting. When the event started, the birds in my garden began to tweet as if it was sunrise or sunset. The sun became weeker and weeker until it was 10:45, and it became a bit cooler. But the most interesting thing was indeed the light. It was a diffuse light, in a way like dirty sun rays or something like that, and everything in the garden, the hills on the horizon and so looked a bit strange being immersed in a ochre-yellow light.
 
Well - as I expected, it was no thrill, but it was sort of remarkable anyway. There was not a single cloud in the sky so I could enjoy the solar eclipse to it's full extent. I did not look into the sun, and that is the reason why I am still able to be an active member here... :D :yes: :no: :nono:

We got a 67% solar eclipse here in the South West, in the Schwarzwald, however it was pretty interesting. When the event started, the birds in my garden began to tweet as if it was sunrise or sunset. The sun became weeker and weeker until it was 10:45, and it became a bit cooler. But the most interesting thing was indeed the light. It was a diffuse light, in a way like dirty sun rays or something like that, and everything in the garden, the hills on the horizon and so looked a bit strange being immersed in a ochre-yellow light.

Excellent description of the light, Chris! :thmbsp: We had pretty-well exactly the same, except our ["British Isles"] range was from 84 - 97% eclipsed; and it was quite cloudy around 'Brum'. I took 128 pics, only a dozen looked like an eclipse - here's two of them [well 'filtered']:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheers, og
 

Attachments

  • Total Eclipse Sun ii.jpg
    Total Eclipse Sun ii.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Total Eclipse Sun iii.jpg
    Total Eclipse Sun iii.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 35
Well, here in northern Bavaria I had quite a good view - no cloud, clear blue sky. But no good camera, only a q'n'd-pinhole aperature and my tine Canon.
But my granpa is real fond of those eclipses and his high-grade welding goggles came very handy...as his well-organized wood pile...



 
Last edited:
I was hoping that the clouds would thin out just a little bit so that I could at least get a glimpse of the sun. A couple of times the clouds ALMOST did me the favor; but in the end, I saw nothing :(

Did anyone else see the two Venus transits back in 2004 and 2012? That is REALLY a once in a lifetime experience. I got the okay from my boss to come to work a little later so that I could observe them.
 
Total greyness in Hertfordshire - you couldn't even see where the Sun was it was sooooo overcast. :tears:
 
Back
Top Bottom