• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

PC-3MC Cartridge

beej

Proud BaPa of G, A and AJ
Subscriber
This cartridge was original equipment on my PL-9 when I purchased it new. I still have the cart but am currently using a Shure M97xe. I've searched here and on other sites and can't find a great deal on the 3MC. Question is: how does the 3MC stack up as a moving coil cart? A replacement stylus is available at LPGear for $59.95. Is the quality of the cart worth replacing the stylus?
 
Register to hide this ad
Pc-3mc

Beej,

Mine came with the MC cartridge also. Sounds good, but the question is whether it's worth replacing the stylus.

How does the M97xE sound? That is exactly what I was thinking about using on my new/used Pl-7. I already have an Ortophon OM10 running on my Thorens TD-180 and the original ULM cartridge on my old Dual 506.

Thanks!

Dennis
 
It is an MC cart. Usually styli of MC carts are not user replaceable. Pioneer got by that by aking the cart part simply a holder with fixed magnets. The stylus actually has the coils attached to the replaceable part. Frequently the super fine coil wires are broken on the replacement parts. If you order one, test it immediately. Don't wait, in case the supplier has to replace it because one or more channels is out or is not balanced in output.

If you get set up with one that works, it is worth the money.

Enjoy,
Rich P
 
The PN-3MC and PN-5MC are my two most favoured moving coil cartridges. I have been using the 3MC on my Ariston RD-40 and the 5MC on my Micro Seiki DDX-1000 for a quarter of a century now. The two reasons are that I consider them to be one of the best MC ever, and very much a hidden gem.
I bought a box of 5 of each type many years ago and still got two of the 3MC and 1 of the 5MC in my collection. I didn't know at the time that the stylus was replaceable, but that is another story.
 
Wow and I do mean wow, Stanga! I'm now faced with yet another 'must have' for my audio arsenal.

dciurej, I've been able to retrieve the elliptical replacement stylus info for the 3MC remotely. Here is the link:

http://www.turntableneedles.com/inde...OD&ProdID=9560

The Shure M97xE is a nice all-around cart, in my opinion, for any kind of listening. It's easy to install, align and set VTF. I don't find it to have any real flaws nor do I find it to have any partiuclarly noteworthy strengths. Nice cart with some nice features. One word of advice re: the PL-9: don't overlook the tonearm height adjustment so that you can set the rake angle for whichever cart you choose. There are a number of threads on this topic in this forum
 
I have the PN5MCs on my Pioneer PL-05, my PL-44FS and the next higher on on my PL-88FS and they sound good to me. I also have a spare PL-88FS but it needs a new stylus and I haven't sprung the $99.95 for one as yet.
 
Gotta get this stylus checked....

Hmmm....

I'm gonna have to check around the neighborhood in dear old Indianapolis to see if I can get the stylus checked. I played an old polka record and it sounded fine.
 
low hours

I recontacted the seller on ebay and he says that the whole table and cartridge probably has less than 40 hours on it. And I paid less than the cost of a replacement stylus for the whole shebang - PL-9 and cartridge - including shipping.

Holy cow!

And no audio store in Indianapolis has the capability of looking at a stylus through a microscope. Looks like I'm gonna have to start looking for a used microscope on ebay.....

Do any of you remember a thread in this group involving the examining of styli? Maybe we ought to start one to see if anyone has done this and what kind of cheap microscope is best. I wonder how many good styli get thrown out because there is no way of checking.
 
You could also check with local jewlers to see if the would scope it for ya and see if its safe to use. Might want to bring a good cart and stylus to give him a referance point though.
 
Stylus wear

Beej,

Now that was an interesting article!

In summary, it looks like it's darn hard to see if a stylus is worn under a microscope.

The last part of the article says that you can tell the best by listening to see if the stylus mistracks or not.

I plan on seeing what kind of microscope I can get cheap on ebay to at least verify that the stylus (or any stylus that I have for that matter) is at least all there and not chipped.

Thank you very much!

Dennis
 
I thought that article was interesting reading as well. That's the thing about AK - members are always willing to help. I've not been a member all that long and everyone here has been nothing but aces to me. I've learned a great deal from them.
 
Sticking with the PC-3MC

I've been playing the PC-3MC after I hooked up the PL-9 downstairs to my back room stereo system. The PL-9 is running into a Harman HK3375 receiver then into Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble II speakers.

Using some test records (Acoustic Research Demonstration record, Stereo Review's demonstration record) it sounds fine.

There are times when I wish that I had the bucks to have a turntable with dual tonearms to be able to A/B cartridges (If wishes were fishes...) but I do like the sound so far.
 
Hmm...even though they are no longer made, I'm kinda wondering how the PC-3MC stacks up against the replacement V15RS I have on my 730 TT. The big thing I don't like about it at first look is no stabilizer brush/stylus guard, and the specs between the two (using the spec sheet of the V15VxMR as a reference) point to the V15RS being overall better. What are PC-3MC's going for now?
 
Back
Top Bottom