• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Peavey FH-1 cabinets to make La Scalas from. Any advice?

Yes. A LaScala is a type of "W" short horn. There are many variations some are not so "short". Short in the context of limited low frequency output vs a long(er) horn which will have better extension.

A combination enclosure (a ported horn) can reach 30Hz which is pretty low and sufficient for most music listening.
 
Yes. A LaScala is a type of "W" short horn. There are many variations some are not so "short". Short in the context of limited low frequency output vs a long(er) horn which will have better extension.

A combination enclosure (a ported horn) can reach 30Hz which is pretty low and sufficient for most music listening.
30hz is sufficient for music for sure.
 
The FH-1, not unlike the LaScala can have a "riser" add to it to make for additional volume and then it can be ported for additional low-end extension.
 
I sense that two-way horn speakers are becoming more and more popular. There are newer compression drivers capable of 500-20000hz. I believe Roy is using the B&C
DE1085TN in the new Klipshorn and somehow getting it to cross at 350hz???

I personally don't care for titanium diaphragms, but some newer drivers are going with a hybrid...titanium diaphragm with a plastic surround. I really like the CDX14-3055 in my two-way Heresy.
 
The (now discontinued) JBL D3305Ti has a "hybrid" titanium diaphragm and polymer surround. It sounds very good for titanium. This driver came out over 20 years ago.

JBL D3305Ti Diaphragm.jpg
 
If a 2 way is really needed and the dispersion pattern is to the liking of the OP, 18 Sound XT1464 + RCF ND940 might be a pretty sweet option.
 
I believe Roy is using the B&C DE1085TN in the new Klipshorn and somehow getting it to cross at 350hz???

He is using the K-1133 with a modified phrase plug in both the AL-6 and AK-7. The driver is made in-house. They’re been using it on the pro side forever.
 
Last edited:
I took Gigantic’s advice and bought a pair of old 1978 Peavey's FH-1 bass cabinets with Peavey Black Widow woofers locally off Craigslist today. As Gigantic posted they’re beat to heck, so I’m going to fill their years of damage and sandpaper them smooth. I’m building them to be like La Scalas. I have a pair of Crites older oil filled can capacitors AA crossovers that I’ll be recapping with his new capacitors replacement kit, a pair of push pin K-55V midrange drivers that I put new diaphragm in some years ago, and a pair of K-77 alnico tweeters with new diaphragms. All those items I removed from my Klipschorns when I put all new items in during my restoration of them, so all I need is midrange horns that I’ll see if Parts Express offers any close enough or eBay. I’ll build top cabinets as I did for my Klipschorns because they were decorator models. I’ll paint it all semigloss black. I’ll make grill covers for my built tops and even bottom FH-1 cabinets. If I’m impressed enough possibly veneer them as I did to my Klipschorns. Any advice from Gigantic or anyone?
Wonder if a plan is emerging to you for the FH-1. :)
 
I'm sure you are right, but it does look very similar to the B&C driver...

View attachment 3788153

View attachment 3788155
That one^

Is not this one though:
DE850TN


Apologies for de-railing the thread.
 
Back
Top Bottom