• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Peavey SP1 speaker

i have these speakers and your posts helped me find replacements for the horn as mine are starting to get a little crackle in them. i have replaced the baskets on the woofers and the direct replacement for the bw's are 1502-4bw. this was traced down by a local music store for me. thanks for your post as it helped me i hope i could help you.
 
You're welcome. I'm not a pro, but I tend to learn many things very quickly. Forums like this have helped broaden my knowledge. Which replacements for the horns did you use as IIRC the 22XT goes down to 500 Hz whereas IIRC the original only went down to 800 Hz? Did you replace the parts on the crossover board yet? there is a resistor in the tweeter circuit and a cap across the woofer that at minium should be replaced regardless, but I would recommend replacing all resistors and caps on the crossover board. Glad this thread helped someone. I've been thinking that the local skating rink that has these speakers should do a complete re-design of their audio system as there are several intermittents and problems in their current system which AFAIK is all original except for the wiring, three SP-1 speakers that were replaced :( , four speakers in two Ampeg V4B sub cabs (four cabs presently used one V4b sub cab is original while one has no speakers, one has Peavey speakers in it whhile the other has speakers that say concert on the dust caps) and the mixer board (original one had two turntables which I remember from my childhood days in the 80's as the DJ booth has a mirrored ceiling and I would stand there and watch).

This is what I was thinking they should do. As much as I like to keep things origional there's just some situations like this where that is not feasible as the sound quality will make or break this place.

Get a Mackie 1604VLZ mixer (I use that at the church I am a member of so I'm very familiar with it) or DJ style mixer (whichever one is best), a mono EQ, a separate active two way crossover, two active signal splitters (one for the lows and one for the mids\highs) to properly drive the amps, six 100 WPC stereo amps, new wiring, eight new speakers for the mids\highs and replace the speakers in the four Ampeg V4B sub cabs (one has a couple of speakers that have concert on the dust caps which is the best sounding one of the four as far as getting the low bass is concerned) with the proper speakers. Now that would be a good system, but they could never afford it unless they took out a small loan not to mention they would need to hire someone to route the wiring to the speakers as climbing ladders and going above suspended ceilings is not really my thing. That's just how I would do it.
 
i am not a pro either i just run a small sound system for a little fun on the weekends. the horn driver i ordered was the 22XT Plus RD. i ordered these to basically clean the sound up . the only reason i had to replace the woofers was because the foam filter on the magnet had deteriorated. and because of this and playing few outdoor parties the dust wore a spot in the voice coil wire that i couldn't repair. the crossovers are fine the only thing i had to do was jumper out the biamp plugs because the jacks quick making the connection when you used the fool range input. side effect of that was the bi amp input is now a output that is crossed over for a sub if needed.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
I picked up a pair of Peavey FH-1 Folded "W" horns.

They have sat in the garage as they play loud, but have no use for me for home hi-fi.

They also need to be near a room/wall boundry to reach the 60hz bottom end limit.

Ron
 
that could be a possibility. it is a easy enough quick check. the last resort would be to open the bottom and connect directly to the woofer. i will warn you it is a tight space.
 
Ok time to revive this thread. I made a mistake about the subwoofer cabinets. They are not Ampeg V4B cabinets. They are instead JBL 4520 Subwoofer cabinets http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1976-pro/page08.jpg as they look just like the one at that website. What 15" subwoofer would go good with that cabinet? I'm attaching a picture of one JBL subwoofer cabinet and one Peavey SP-1 speaker. I'm seriously thinking about designing some custom speakers that will cover the midbass through the treble while using those JBl cabinets for the bass. I would also use the Yamaha P2500s amp to power the speakers. The skating rink has four of the JBL subwoofer cabinets and 8 Peavey SP1 speakers. I would need a total of 6 Yamaha amplifiers. I cannot decide if I want to place the amps near the speakers like they are now or put the amps in a rack and run speaker wires to all the speakers. Here's what I'm thinking of using for the eight speakers:

Midbass: Eminence Kappa Pro-15A 15" Cast Frame Driver http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-422
Midrange: Eminence PSD:2002S-8 1" Titanium Driver 8 Ohm 1-3/8"-18 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-446
Midrange horn: Dayton H08RW 8" Round Waveguide 1" Threaded http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=270-308
Tweeter: Eminence APT-80 Super Tweeter with 80° Conical Horn
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-532

I have a 12 db/octave Linkwitz-Reily crossover designed that should work for these speakers
 

Attachments

  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 3 way crossover.jpg
    3 way crossover.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Would you still have the crossover diagram for the SP-1.....my crossover is in need of repair, and I cannot ID the coils......thanx for any help!
 
Back
Top Bottom