• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

phase linear 500 series II value

maclvrbr

Super Member
Does anyone have any idea what the value of these amps are? I am looking at 1 for sale, and have no idea what to offer? If bought is it possible to have it repaired?
 
Register to hide this ad
Price depends on condition. When functional and decent looking, they rarely sell for less than $1,200. I sold one (completely original, completely functional, great rack-mounted shape) last December for $1400. And the two very nice refurbed / enhanced units that went last summer each garnered $3,000, to the same Australian buyer.

By the same token, one of the less-than-acceptable eBay flippers couldn't get a starting bid of $1,000 for one that looked ok and supposedly works.

There are some people who can do great things with these units. My understanding is there are a few in the West that worked for PL. I know a guy in CT who can do wonders. And there's supposedly someone down in TX, though I haven't heard anything, good or bad, as reference.
 
Also depends what you plan on driving with it? Lot's of jokes about blowing them up, so if you have time, research it, also look for similar designs of which there are many, see if your speakers and room/listening habits will work! It's kinda like getting a puppy if you will, you don't get a cute little Scotty and be at work for 14 hours at a time, match the amp to your needs and lifestyle. I have no idea what to offer for one, I've heard they sound very nice if matched properly and very well built.

Good Luck, Craig
 
Also depends what you plan on driving with it? Lot's of jokes about blowing them up, so if you have time, research it, also look for similar designs of which there are many, see if your speakers and room/listening habits will work! It's kinda like getting a puppy if you will, you don't get a cute little Scotty and be at work for 14 hours at a time, match the amp to your needs and lifestyle. I have no idea what to offer for one, I've heard they sound very nice if matched properly and very well built.

Good Luck, Craig

Blowing up D-500's is more urban legend than anything else. The Series I amps (no D-500 in that group) and particularly the 700's (D-500's little brother) had overheating problems. The 700 wasn't originally supplied with a cooling fan. When stacked in tight quarters without airflow they had a tendency to fry. Once PL came up with the cooling fan retrofit, and reiterated the need for ventilation, that problem went away. And almost all the frying occurred in Pro Audio applications. Even the 400's weren't that easy to fry unless you decided to insulate them before running them at max power.

The D-500 had no problem running near maximum power all day with sufficient ventilation. I used mine to drive 4 ohm (800+ WPC RMS) and even 2 ohm (1,000+ WPC) loads without a problem. It is a tremendous amp, with far more clean power than most speakers will ever need.
 
Back
Top Bottom