• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Phase Linear 8000 II (Pioneer PL-L1000) counterweights

jjbunn

Member
The Phase Linear 8000 II manual describes two counterweights and a sub weight. My table has only the large counterweight, shown in the photo. With this weight, to balance and apply the correct tracking weight for my cartridge, the dial needs to be right up against the pivot, as can be seen in the photo. (The scale is a little off: 1g shown on the dial produces about 1.1g on the stylus.) So, ideally, I'd need to use the small counterweight, if I had it!

I've looked around for photos of the small counterweight, but drawn a blank. Does anyone have the small counterweight - what does it look like? Oddly, the Pioneer manual doesn't mention anything about a choice of counterweight - there is only one shown and described, and it looks like the large one.

Thanks!

2024-08-20 11.46.19-1.jpg
counterweight.png
 
Register to hide this ad
The Phase Linear 8000 II manual describes two counterweights and a sub weight.

I've looked around for photos of the small counterweight, but drawn a blank. Does anyone have the small counterweight - what does it look like?

Thanks!

20240821_115948.jpg

These were the weights that came with my PL-L1000 back in 1979, minus the one that's currently in use on the table.

For more info you could try this AK thread. Post #5.
 
Last edited:
What do the numbers refer to? Weights in oz?

Yes, weight displayed is ounces.

I just weighed the one I have: 3.7oz. Is the one you have in use on your table that same weight? And you have 4 weights in total, including the sub-weight?

To be honest, I never weighed the one in current use on the table as it was factory installed, and was a perfect fit for the AT cart I was going to use. So I'm guessing 3.7oz would be it and yes, 4 weights total.
 
Back
Top Bottom