• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Philips 406 best cartridge and stylus?

Mbrown9959

New Member
Hello, I'm a newbie to vintage audio and this site so please bear with me.
I just picked up a Philips 406. It's got a Stanton 500 cartridge and a D71ee stylus. I balanced the tone arm and set tracking force and antiskate to 1.5 recommended for this stylus, but I'm getting lots of skipping and buzzing at these settings. Do I have it set up wrong, or should I just get a new stylus and/or cartridge? If so, what would be a good cartridge for this table? I'm not an expert audiophile by any means, but I'd like to get the most out of my system, and to especially avoid damaging my records.
Current setup is a Philips 406 auto turntable, Luxman L-430 receiver, and Klipsch Heresy speakers.
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello, I'm a newbie to vintage audio and this site so please bear with me.
I just picked up a Philips 406. It's got a Stanton 500 cartridge and a D71ee stylus. I balanced the tone arm and set tracking force and antiskate to 1.5 recommended for this stylus, but I'm getting lots of skipping and buzzing at these settings. Do I have it set up wrong, or should I just get a new stylus and/or cartridge? If so, what would be a good cartridge for this table? I'm not an expert audiophile by any means, but I'd like to get the most out of my system, and to especially avoid damaging my records.
Current setup is a Philips 406 auto turntable, Luxman L-430 receiver, and Klipsch Heresy speakers.
I don’t have that turntable but I have a Philips 312. It looks like yours, like mine, will work best with a high-compliance cartridge. The Ortofon Super OM series should work well. If you go that route, I’d strongly recommend the OM20 stylus, but you could always start with the 10 and upgrade later. I just found the 20 to be such a huge improvement over the 10. I’m not sure what other modern high-compliance carts are out there that might work well.
 
Back
Top Bottom