• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Philips GA-212 Turntable Suspect Transistors and Replacements

I am going to be refurbishing a Philips GA-212 turntable I picked up recently and I am making a list of parts to acquire. Right off the bat I will be be replacing the two axial capacitors along with the light bulbs as it seems that the capacitive button circuit and auto stop requires them to function properly. When working on my older Pioneer amps/receivers there are a number of noisy transistors that I will replace whenever I come across them. I am less familiar with the transistors listed in the parts list of the Philips 212. The transistors are as follows:

AD162
BC158B
BC149C
BC308A
BC148C
BC148B
BC338
AC127

Are any of these transistors suspect to become noisy or fail over the years?
 
Register to hide this ad
I am going to be refurbishing a Philips GA-212 turntable I picked up recently and I am making a list of parts to acquire. Right off the bat I will be be replacing the two axial capacitors along with the light bulbs as it seems that the capacitive button circuit and auto stop requires them to function properly. When working on my older Pioneer amps/receivers there are a number of noisy transistors that I will replace whenever I come across them. I am less familiar with the transistors listed in the parts list of the Philips 212. The transistors are as follows:

AD162
BC158B
BC149C
BC308A
BC148C
BC148B
BC338
AC127

Are any of these transistors suspect to become noisy or fail over the years?
AC127 and AD162 are germanium. So hard to find, but are power supply and usually don't fail. (famous last words)
Others are switching circuit transistors, and none are in the audio chain, Basically, an if it works, not worth changing.
 
My 212 is pretty decent. I have been wondering about refreshing things, or maybe even a little modification... all original and working well at this point, so Its not on my current list of things to do. I will be curious to see how your project turns out!
 
AC127 and AD162 are germanium. So hard to find, but are power supply and usually don't fail. (famous last words)
Others are switching circuit transistors, and none are in the audio chain, Basically, an if it works, not worth changing.
Awesome, just the thing I want to hear. Thanks for you input.
 
My 212 is pretty decent. I have been wondering about refreshing things, or maybe even a little modification... all original and working well at this point, so Its not on my current list of things to do. I will be curious to see how your project turns out!
The refurbish will be starting after I complete some other projects I have on the bench. I will likely start a thread for it as it is going to be a rather ambitious affair. This turntable looks like its had a lot of city miles on it and is going to take a considerable amount of elbow grease and parts replacement to get it into tip-top shape. I'm excited all the same as I feel the TT has a lot of potential hidden behind the layers of dust and dirt.
 
Back
Top Bottom