• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Phono cart for P3?

The Vessel is a good quality Excel body, with some very good stylus options. It's also mostly overlooked by the majority. It's a relatively low output model, more similar to an old Shure, about 3.5mV. Just means you might have to turn the volume up a little. Otherwise, if you like the sound, it's as good as anything in its price range.

I say go for it!
 
I bought AND sold a new P3 in 2021... within a month. So I'm writing with prejudice.
To me they simply don't exude quality except for the non-adjustable tonearm; pre-set to Rega carts only.
Consider a Fluance RT87 Reference table at 2/3 the price.
 
I bought AND sold a new P3 in 2021... within a month. So I'm writing with prejudice.
To me they simply don't exude quality except for the non-adjustable tonearm; pre-set to Rega carts only.
Consider a Fluance RT87 Reference table at 2/3 the price.

Nothing wrong with "writing with prejudice". I have an RT85. It is what got me back into records (that's what we called them 50 years ago.) Do you have any thoughts on the tonearm for the RT87?
 
Do you have any thoughts on the tonearm for the RT87?
It's a straight arm carbon fiber as opposed to your RT85's S shaped arm; lower effective mass.. but what I like best is that it still has a removable headshell (3 G lighter than your headshell) and a VTA adjustment.
So Fluance addressed practical features that are required for LP enjoyment and flexibility. They didn't give into the ultra rigidity gospel that has been preached for the past 40 years and instead went for rational, user friendly features. Kudos to them.
 
I’m gonna drop back and punt, so to speak. The windfall money is going to be more than anticipated. So, I am now staring down the barrel at a Technics SL-1200GR2. I don’t know that this changes the cartridge discussion that much. The parameters for a phono cart stay the same— $500 +/- for the top end of the budget. I do know that with the addition of the removable headshell I don’t have the sensation of being as locked in on a cart. I still want to up my “cart game” from the $200 price point I’ve been at, though. So, any thoughts? Are there carts that seem to perform better with the GR2 than they would have with the Regas? Thanks for all the input y'all have provided so far!
 
I’m gonna drop back and punt, so to speak. The windfall money is going to be more than anticipated. So, I am now staring down the barrel at a Technics SL-1200GR2. I don’t know that this changes the cartridge discussion that much. The parameters for a phono cart stay the same— $500 +/- for the top end of the budget. I do know that with the addition of the removable headshell I don’t have the sensation of being as locked in on a cart. I still want to up my “cart game” from the $200 price point I’ve been at, though. So, any thoughts? Are there carts that seem to perform better with the GR2 than they would have with the Regas? Thanks for all the input y'all have provided so far!
I have an AT-VMN40xML on my 1200GR2 and it sounds wonderful. It also has a threaded body so no tiny nuts to fool with when installing it. I use the provided 10 gram weight on the back of the tonearm so that I can have the counterweight set very close to the fulcrum (tracks better the closer the weight is to the fulcrum). The GR2 is an excellent table for a decent price, I use one of the cardboard Arc Protractors available on Ebay to get it set up perfectly.
740xML  002.jpgwith counterweight.jpgno counterweight.jpgARC Protractor.jpg1000005713.jpg
 
Last edited:
I have an AT-VMN40xML on my 1200GR2 and it sounds wonderful. It also has a threaded body so no tiny nuts to fool with when installing it. I use the provided 10 gram weight on the back of the tonearm so that I can have the counterweight set very close to the fulcrum (tracks better the closer the weight is to the fulcrum). The GR2 is an excellent table for a decent price, I use one of the cardboard Arc Protractors available on Ebay to get it set up perfectly.
View attachment 3822256View attachment 3822264View attachment 3822267View attachment 3822268View attachment 3822269

Interesting about position of the counter weight. It does make sense though. (Give me a lever long enough...!) I will definitely give that a whirl. Thanks!
 
.... I am now staring down the barrel at a Technics SL-1200GR2.
Oooooooo .... nice TT.

I don’t know that this changes the cartridge discussion that much. The parameters for a phono cart stay the same— $500 +/- for the top end of the budget. I do know that with the addition of the removable headshell I don’t have the sensation of being as locked in on a cart. I still want to up my “cart game” from the $200 price point I’ve been at, though. So, any thoughts? Are there carts that seem to perform better with the GR2 than they would have with the Regas? Thanks for all the input y'all have provided so far!
Cartridge options increase significantly with the Technics. Budget remains a limiting factor.
If we were previously at a X20, with a 745xML on another TT, I would have to consider a Concorde Music Bronze.
I like integrated cartridge/headshells. Not just 'easy to install', but unique engineering & performance. I got a deal on a Music Black stylus, then bought a Music Red body.

Plus, now with a removable headshell, you can vary the shell weight to accommodate other cartridges. I think the 103R can be back in the discussion. Not my choice, still not a great fit, and not a great choice for your #1 cart, but it can work.

I don't know the rest of your system, but if we have now an end-game Grand Class TT, I get the sense that a $500 cartridge will be an interim step & would plan/purchase accordingly. X20 today w/fine line + boron retip after 300 hrs might be an option.
 
Oooooooo .... nice TT.


Cartridge options increase significantly with the Technics. Budget remains a limiting factor.
If we were previously at a X20, with a 745xML on another TT, I would have to consider a Concorde Music Bronze.
I like integrated cartridge/headshells. Not just 'easy to install', but unique engineering & performance. I got a deal on a Music Black stylus, then bought a Music Red body.

Plus, now with a removable headshell, you can vary the shell weight to accommodate other cartridges. I think the 103R can be back in the discussion. Not my choice, still not a great fit, and not a great choice for your #1 cart, but it can work.

I don't know the rest of your system, but if we have now an end-game Grand Class TT, I get the sense that a $500 cartridge will be an interim step & would plan/purchase accordingly. X20 today w/fine line + boron retip after 300 hrs might be an option.

I was thinking (or hoping) the same thing. I do want to put a 103/103r into the stable of carts, not as a primary, but as an option for mixing things up a bit. Re: rest of my system--
Valid question, thanks! It's a bunch of Schiit. Kara pre-amp, Lokius EQ (seldom used), Skoll phono pre, Vidar 2 amp. KEF LS50 Metas, SVS 3000 Micro sub. I am quite happy with this system. Current TT is a Pioneer PL-520 running a Shure Me75ED with with an upgraded stylus, N75HE, purchased from LP Gear. (I have another system that I want to shift this TT to.) I am confident that this system will deal well with the upgrade.

Thanks for the input! Much to think about!
 
Oooooooo .... nice TT.


Cartridge options increase significantly with the Technics. Budget remains a limiting factor.
If we were previously at a X20, with a 745xML on another TT, I would have to consider a Concorde Music Bronze.
I like integrated cartridge/headshells. Not just 'easy to install', but unique engineering & performance. I got a deal on a Music Black stylus, then bought a Music Red body.

Plus, now with a removable headshell, you can vary the shell weight to accommodate other cartridges. I think the 103R can be back in the discussion. Not my choice, still not a great fit, and not a great choice for your #1 cart, but it can work.

I don't know the rest of your system, but if we have now an end-game Grand Class TT, I get the sense that a $500 cartridge will be an interim step & would plan/purchase accordingly. X20 today w/fine line + boron retip after 300 hrs might be an option.
I had a Concorde Music Bronze on the GR2 at one time, but replaced it with the VMN40xML-- nothing wrong with the Bronze at all (which uses a nice line contact stylus), but the ouput is 6 mV and I was picking up too much background noise on older well played LPs with it. The N40xML's output is about half of that and I get no noise with it. The Concorde is now on my old Marantz 6200 and works on that table better than any other cart I've tried on it.

109_3640.JPGConcorde Bronze 001.jpg
 
Anyone have any insight into the scarcity of the 1200GR2 right now? Is it just low volume production and higher demand or is a change coming? Or do I need to start a new thread?
 
Thanks for the input! I was directed to Hifi Heaven by another kind member. Not a seller I was familiar with. I know Crutchfield and Audio Advice and saw that they both were back ordered. Crutchfield was anticipating them being in yesterday. Today they state expected on into January. Now if Hifi Heaven can just keep stock for a coupla-three weeks that would be great. We'll just have to wait and see.
 
With your extra cash, You might want to reconsider the Rega Planar 3....the RS version for about the same price as the 1200GR2, with their excellent Pre-mounted Nd5 cartridge, and the Neo power supply which provides fine pitch control and electrically selectable speed switching, like the Technics.

The Rega Planar 3 RS Prioritizes Sonic excellence. It has no automatic functions, It doesn't have a removable headshel, no built-in preamp etc.

But if you have a resolving enough stereo system, For critical listening Google's AI describes its advantages better then I could.

"Focuses on micro-dynamics, spatial depth, and the natural decay of instruments. Listeners often note that Rega designs excel at extracting fine three-dimensional layering and acoustic resonance from complex recordings"

Since I have to get up to change the record anyway, Manual tables are fine here. I must admit though, The automatic operation is not only convenient, but pretty cool to see in operation. Even sonically the better New and Vintage auto models can do a fine job for many users.
 
Last edited:
With your extra cash, You might want to reconsider the Rega Planar 3....the RS version for about the same price as the 1200GR2, with their excellent Pre-mounted Nd5 cartridge, and the Neo power supply which provides fine pitch control and electrically selectable speed switching, like the Technics.

The Rega Planar 3 RS Prioritizes Sonic excellence. It has no automatic functions, It doesn't have a removable headshel, no built-in preamp etc.

But if you have a resolving enough stereo system, For critical listening Google's AI describes its advantages better then I could.

"Focuses on micro-dynamics, spatial depth, and the natural decay of instruments. Listeners often note that Rega designs excel at extracting fine three-dimensional layering and acoustic resonance from complex recordings"

Since I have to get up to change the record anyway, Manual tables are fine here. I must admit though, The automatic operation is not only convenient, but pretty cool to see in operation. Even sonically the better New and Vintage auto models can do a fine job for many users.

Yeah, I have had to consider the "what if" and shifting back to my original thought of the Regas. All of these are fully manual TTs. The 1200GR2 is fully manual. The only decks from Technics that I am aware of that have an auto lift are the 1500 and the 100c. If I do go Rega it would be the P6 with no cart. Thanks!
 
Yeah, I have had to consider the "what if" and shifting back to my original thought of the Regas. All of these are fully manual TTs. The 1200GR2 is fully manual. The only decks from Technics that I am aware of that have an auto lift are the 1500 and the 100c. If I do go Rega it would be the P6 with no cart. Thanks!

The Planar 6 uses the same RB330 tonearm as the Planar 3. An excellent arm to be sure. But Rega offers a sweet deal with a Planar 6 RS. Which Includes their high end RB880 tonearm and their pre-mounted Nd9 Cartridge. The cartridge alone is $1,500 CAD. And of course the Neo power supply.
 
Last edited:
After much deliberation I am planning on purchasing a Rega P3. I will have some windfall funds in a couple of months so the purchase is still down the line time-wise. My question is this, do you, the collective of AK, have any recommendations re: a cart for the P3? The top end of the budget is $500ish. I am not interested in the Rega carts. At the moment things are narrowed down to the front runners, a Nagaoka MP-200 and a Hana EL. Also in consideration but second tier are the Denon DL-103 (or 103R) and the Ortofon MCX20. That's where the short list is currently. I have never had a MC cart before. My pre-amp is a Schiit Skoll. Are there carts that work better with the P3 than others? Are there carts that you would recommend and why? Thanks in advance!
I would pair it with a Rega nd3 if you could find one.
 
The thing with Turntable package deals from any manufacturer in most price ranges is unless they have a sound signature with the included cartridge that might work for you, There really not a bargain. Especially with an expensive package like Raga's Planar 6 RS. So I understand why some might prefer buying a table w/o a cartridge. Do some research on the table package you're interested in, see what critics and owners say about the sound and then decide.
 
Back
Top Bottom