• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

phono pre: Jolida JD9 - Bellari ?

So right now I have both, the Bellari is paid for, the Jolida is on loan and could be mine for $300. I'm short on cash but can make the JD9 happen if I really need / want to. According the the owner it has NOS tubes but I haven't pulled the case apart to verify / see what they are. The Jolida sounds better but I know I can mod the Bellari both in tubes and some of the components to get the sound quality up. TT is nothing stellar: a Marantz 6100, grado Prestige (Green) cartridge. I like the Bellari for the headphone out and well, it looks cool in a funky way.

So, opinions, we've all got them. Should I return the Jolida tomorrow (it's due back) or buy it? Should this be in the tube forums? Wasn;t sure, TT made since since I'm talking phono pre.
 
Register to hide this ad
So right now I have both, the Bellari is paid for, the Jolida is on loan and could be mine for $300. I'm short on cash but can make the JD9 happen if I really need / want to. According the the owner it has NOS tubes but I haven't pulled the case apart to verify / see what they are. The Jolida sounds better but I know I can mod the Bellari both in tubes and some of the components to get the sound quality up. TT is nothing stellar: a Marantz 6100, grado Prestige (Green) cartridge. I like the Bellari for the headphone out and well, it looks cool in a funky way.

So, opinions, we've all got them. Should I return the Jolida tomorrow (it's due back) or buy it? Should this be in the tube forums? Wasn;t sure, TT made since since I'm talking phono pre.

swapping out the stylus in that Green to a 8MZ stylus will do more for you that swapping out phono pre's
 
The Jolida is sort of famous in the forums for being upgraded. If that sort of thing appeals to you, there's more potential in it than in the Bellari. As they are in stock form, other than tubes, I think the Bellari is fine and would agree that the stylus is a good place to put your upgrade money.

I'd also suggest a Sovtek 12AX7LPS for the Bellari if you haven't upgraded, already. They're inexpensive and sound a little better than the stock tube.
 
Thanks, I wasn't sure it made sense to upgrade the stylus on the TT or wait to upgrade the TT. Sounds like the JD9 isn't a deal too good to pass up. I may return it tomorrow and sort out the TT / cartridge options. And thank you for the Sovtek 12AX7LPS suggestion, I've seen that suggested a few times and I just popped one in my Amazon basket. The other thing that had me with the JD 9 was the MM/MC option but I'm probably a few upgrades (years) away from anything MC.
 
Thanks, I wasn't sure it made sense to upgrade the stylus on the TT or wait to upgrade the TT. Sounds like the JD9 isn't a deal too good to pass up. I may return it tomorrow and sort out the TT / cartridge options. And thank you for the Sovtek 12AX7LPS suggestion, I've seen that suggested a few times and I just popped one in my Amazon basket. The other thing that had me with the JD 9 was the MM/MC option but I'm probably a few upgrades (years) away from anything MC.

The JD9 is superior. Toss those same Sovteks into the JD9 and it will shine. Tons of mods that are well documented.

For $300 you get MC and MM capability with switchable gain settings and cartridge loading.

If you can swing it keep the JD9 and sell the Bellari to recover some of the cost.
 
The Bellari can be made better with a tube upgrade for sure.I have one that now is more of a backup than anything. I like to have it around to audition tables at yard sales, etc.

A friend has a Jolida he modded and it is the better pre. I would tend to go with the stylus upgrade but getting the Jolida and selling the Bellari would be tempting also.

Lotta help I am...
 
I'm realizing my real question is bigger than the two pre's; that is where should I put my upgrade dollars and is the JD9 (with upgraded tubes) to good of a deal to pass up? Of course having the JD9 on loan slants things. I'm tempted to upgrade the cartridge but I don't want to over-spec the Marantz 6100, ie is the TT worth upgrading to a XX cart?. So I guess it boils down to JD9 vs new cart vs wait because I've spent too much this month already vs just do it and try and justify the drain on savings later. :)
 
Bellari v. JD9

YMMV... I believe the JD9 can grow with your system if modded as you go. I'm not sure the Bellari is able to
 
The JD9 could be considered more of a long term tool that you can use with different TT's and Carts in the future. I'd get it. It's an item that seems to hold it's resale value pretty well, especially as a stock item. You could always get (most) of your money back if & when you re-sell it.
 
I'm realizing my real question is bigger than the two pre's; that is where should I put my upgrade dollars and is the JD9 (with upgraded tubes) to good of a deal to pass up? Of course having the JD9 on loan slants things. I'm tempted to upgrade the cartridge but I don't want to over-spec the Marantz 6100, ie is the TT worth upgrading to a XX cart?. So I guess it boils down to JD9 vs new cart vs wait because I've spent too much this month already vs just do it and try and justify the drain on savings later. :)

The Green stylus in the Green body isn't letting you know much really about either preamp. The 8MZ stylus in the Green body will make life that much more decernable.
 
The Green stylus in the Green body isn't letting you know much really about either preamp. The 8MZ stylus in the Green body will make life that much more decernable.

..this guy?
http://www.needledoctor.com/Grado-8MZ-V-Stylus

...it's more than the green was, should I consider a whole new cart? sorry, I'm still in the "learning more" phase so I realize you pretty much already answered the question, guess that's a "really?".
 
okay, the JD9 is in my car which means it is "probably" (maybe) going back (I need to go over to the dealers place today to settle up on a DAC). I'm convinced I need to upgrade my stylus and or cartridge. I'm also sure I need to find a bag of money on the side of the road. :) thanks for all the input and keep it coming if there are more opinions.
 
..this guy?
http://www.needledoctor.com/Grado-8MZ-V-Stylus

...it's more than the green was, should I consider a whole new cart? sorry, I'm still in the "learning more" phase so I realize you pretty much already answered the question, guess that's a "really?".

Yeah, that guy.



http://daveyw.edsstuff.org/index.htm

this site has sound clips of a Black Grado, and a Red with 8MZ stylus. The Green you have is simply a Black that spec'd out at the top of its class. The Red body is identical to the body you have. There are other carts to listen to as well if you are considering replacing the whole thing. I'm not sure for the price of that stylus you'll find a cart to compare to it at the same money.
Without a cartridge of significant detail, the preamp comparison is not really fair to either preamp. Kinda like test driving a car to see "how she handles" on a straight road.
 
Back
Top Bottom