• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

picked up a 200 record collection this week

SpeakerLabFan

< speakerlab 7's
for $35...I picked up this collection of blues, jazz and rock mostly from a guy who was moving and had listed his collection on CL last week. Klownschool sent me the link, said it would be worth the trip (thanks Rick) :thmbsp: , he had already stopped by and picked out individual records from the collection. The guy listed the balance of the collection for just $35. :banana:

...If he liked an artist, he would get as many titles as possible so there was lots of good stuff that I don't have - Albert King, BB King, Muddy Waters, Wilson Pickett, Buddy Miles, Junior Wells, Booker T and the MGs, Butterfield Blues Band, The Jazz Crusaders, Stanley Turrentine, Dr John, Little Feat, Quicksilver, Dan Hicks and Hot Licks, Fleetwood Mac - Black Magic Woman. :music::music::music:

200LPS.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Don't forget the Atomic Rooster and Staples Singers! You should list it all...it's better than you can imagine for 35!
 
Don't forget the Atomic Rooster and Staples Singers!

Oh, yeah. Been meaning to do a wikipedia search on the Roosters, new to me but look like an interesting band from the two LPs included in this batch. Aha, Palmer, of ELP, his earlier band. Goin' on the platter next. Thanks again for the headsup, Rick :thmbsp:

You should list it all...it's better than you can imagine for 35!

Heh -- list 200 records --- yeah, I'll get right on that...after you list some of your recent dead-of-winter finds.

Plus I'm playing with my latest additions to the Carver/Phase Linear shrine. :banana:
 
One bizarre LP in the batch is the Kasenetz - Katz Singing Orchestral Circus from 1968, this is a combination of 8 bubble-gum groups including:

1910 Fruitgum Company
Ohio Express
Music Explosion
Lt. Garcia's Magic Music Box
Teri Nelson Group
1989 Musical Marching Zoo
J.C.W. Rat Finks
St. Louis Invisible Marching Band

A nicely packaged cover on Buddah records, in great shape including a sheet of "stamps" with pictures of the 20+ performers. The LP is not listed in Goldmine but I found some information on wikipedia.
 
I love buying collections I've done it a number of times you've not lived as a vinyl junkie tell you come home with a FULL long box 3/4 ton ford pickup full of LP's 1200++ I managed to sort over 400 of them into GW donation boxes before the boxes came off the tailgate. I still have about 4 feet of that collection to get cataloged.

Can't wait for the next one. The problem is that as your collection count goes up then percentage of new additions to your collection goes down.

most of the smaller collections I look at now with under 200 LP's only have a couple dozen I don't have already. And when you then grade out the crap it's getting harder to buy a collection now that I have over 2000 LP's
 
Is that Cold Blood I spy at the front of one of those boxes? Schweet! I also have the Kasenatz-Katz disc..."Quick Joey Small" has been a fave since I was a kid. Neat slice of 60s bubblepop.
 
Can't wait for the next one. The problem is that as your collection count goes up then percentage of new additions to your collection goes down.

I hear ya, that's why it's cool when there is lots of unique offbeat 60's and 70's stuff that I'd never pick out individually but that I get in a collection like this.

Is that Cold Blood I spy at the front of one of those boxes? Schweet! I also have the Kasenatz-Katz disc..."Quick Joey Small" has been a fave since I was a kid. Neat slice of 60s bubblepop.

Yep, Lydia Pense / Cold Blood, it is. Good eye! This is their first title - Cold Blood. I also have First Taste of Sin picked up from a collection last year. I think she is a great vocalist. :music::thmbsp:
 
I hear ya, that's why it's cool when there is lots of unique offbeat 60's and 70's stuff that I'd never pick out individually but that I get in a collection like this.

The other thing buying collections has done for me is to completely flesh out certian artists. The first 1200 LP collection I traded for ( a Yamaha 300TT turntable I had paid $20.00 for and a half case of Henikin beer I kid you not) Had almost 17 Yes LP's and EP's Now talk about a Yes collection! And all in NM condition the same with Asia and a couple other bands. It also got me a whole bunch of Jazz and blues LP's I never would have bought on their own.

WELL wish me luck if things go well I'm off to look at 8 boxes of "bargain records" at a record store they say they haven't even gone through just need the floor space back. Price if I take them all $50.00.

I guess if I find a dozen I want the deal comes out even and I can always use the Tax receipt for donating the bulk to the local GW.
 
WELL wish me luck if things go well I'm off to look at 8 boxes of "bargain records" at a record store they say they haven't even gone through just need the floor space back. Price if I take them all $50.00.

I guess if I find a dozen I want the deal comes out even and I can always use the Tax receipt for donating the bulk to the local GW.

wow...nice. Good luck, and please report back how it goes. :music::thmbsp:
 
Kind of a Janis wanna-be.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing while listening to Cold Blood this afternoon - she sounds similar to Janis on this record - strong bluesy vocals, recorded in the late 60's in SF - they must have run in the same circles and heard / influenced by Janis...
 
Back
Top Bottom