• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Picked up a Luxman R-117-Nice sound!

Freo-1

Well-Known Member
The Luxman R-117 arrived yesterday. Man, what a nice sounding unit. I had forgotten just how nice this unit sounds. The FM tuner works great, and the CD direct works very well indeed.

This joins a Luxman R-115 and R-114 that I have also. The R-115 is pretty close sonically to the R-117, but the 117 has "more" across the sound spectrum. The bass is definitely deeper, and does a better job with the Polk LSI-15s. Perhaps a more efficient speaker would show less of a difference between the 117 and the 115.

Sol Cal Sam, thanks much for the steer :thmbsp:
 
Register to hide this ad
How does the R-114 sound? I have a line on one locally that's not too pricey.

It's a sleeper. Very nice sound at 50 wpc. Similar to R-115, but perhaps just ever so slightly more detailed. Tuner seems a little less sensitive than the R-115, but still sounds nice with a good antenna.
 
I'm quite fond of my R-117. Find the Service Manual online (hifiengine) and take the time a little time to adjust the bias/idle current on the amps. Mine were set very low and the sound improved even more after adjustment.
 
I'm quite fond of my R-117. Find the Service Manual online (hifiengine) and take the time a little time to adjust the bias/idle current on the amps. Mine were set very low and the sound improved even more after adjustment.

Will Do. Thanks for the suggestion.
 
You lucky dog!

My first hi-fi component was a Luxman R-113 a few years ago and I loved it! Although I have gone separates in my listening room and living room, I still have it, but it needs some repairs at the moment. Can't wait for luck to swing my way and find me an R-117!

Congrats again and enjoy this killer receiver!

az
 
The Luxman R-117 arrived yesterday. Man, what a nice sounding unit. I had forgotten just how nice this unit sounds. The FM tuner works great, and the CD direct works very well indeed.

This joins a Luxman R-115 and R-114 that I have also. The R-115 is pretty close sonically to the R-117, but the 117 has "more" across the sound spectrum. The bass is definitely deeper, and does a better job with the Polk LSI-15s. Perhaps a more efficient speaker would show less of a difference between the 117 and the 115.

Sol Cal Sam, thanks much for the steer :thmbsp:

Congrats. The R-117 is in my list of top 5 best sounding receivers. IMO, it is the best sounding remote controlled receiver. At one time, I had a pair of M-117 power amps and the R-117 easily beat them. Get the D-109 CDP which is a very close cosmetic match. (The D-117 is a little tinny in comparison.) Happily, the RR-117 remote control works the D-109.
 
Congrats. The R-117 is in my list of top 5 best sounding receivers. IMO, it is the best sounding remote controlled receiver. At one time, I had a pair of M-117 power amps and the R-117 easily beat them. Get the D-109 CDP which is a very close cosmetic match. (The D-117 is a little tinny in comparison.) Happily, the RR-117 remote control works the D-109.

what are the other 4?
 
I just came back from the Sally Ann. It was half-price day. I got a Luxman R-106 for $10. I know nothing about the receiver, but have always had great respect for the Luxman brand. Haven't even plugged it in yet. I am wondering if anyone can offer an opinion about how it will compare to my Yamaha A-500 and my Sherwood AD-2220CP. They are all three in the same power range (50-60 watts RMS per channel @ 8 ohms).
 
My solid state receivers top five in no particular order:

Concept 11.0
Concept 16.5
Luxman R-117
HK 990VXi
HK 690i

I once passed on a $50 Concept 11.0.I wasn't interested enough because at the time I was like "I got enough **** already".I also think the Concepts as nice as they may sound are one of the most unattractive receivers to me.
 
Back
Top Bottom