• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Picked up a Nipper!

bravo30

Bravo30
I was recently at a garage sale when I asked if they had any vintage stereo equipment for sale and was told they had a system in the basement I could check out. Unfortunately the equipment was in pretty bad shape. I did however see this guy sitting in the corner and asked the homeowner if they would sell him. The statue belong to the wife and she was happy that someone interested in music wanted him. She then said she would like to get $20 for him which I quickly paid before carrying Nipper to my car. Turns out they had bought the statue more than 25 years ago and had him sitting under their grand piano. Because they were downsizing and moving to a condo they were happy that Nipper was going to a good home! I am aware this is a reproduction but a well done one. Chalk and heavy.

20180821_165708.jpg 20180821_165110.jpg 20180821_165724.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I was recently at a garage sale when I asked if they had any vintage stereo equipment for sale and was told they had a system in the basement I could check out. Unfortunately the equipment was in pretty bad shape. I did however see this guy sitting in the corner and asked the homeowner if they would sell him. The statue belong to the wife and she was happy that someone interested in music wanted him. She then said she would like to get $20 for him which I quickly paid before carrying Nipper to my car. Turns out they had bought the statue more than 25 years ago and had him sitting under their grand piano. Because they were downsizing and moving to a condo they were happy that Nipper was going to a good home! I am aware this is a reproduction but a well done one. Chalk and heavy.

View attachment 1263314 View attachment 1263315 View attachment 1263316
Here's Paul's $900 Big Nipper
 
I have a couple of stuffed Nippers, back from the 90s when RCA was doing some sort of promotion. I also had a vintage Nipper/gramophone salt and pepper shaker set, but the gramophone got damaged.
 
In 1900, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office issued a trademark for the image, which had come to be known by the title "His Master's Voice." The Gramophone Co. gave Nipper's U.S. rights to the Victor Talking Machine Co., and RCA got the image when it bought Victor in 1929.

But - we had a Local Nipper on Rt 29 near Merrifield, VA - it is 18 foot tall!

The Triangle Sign Co. of Baltimore made Nipper in 1954. It was placed atop the Russell Street headquarters building of D&H Distributing, an RCA distributor. D&H moved to Savage, Md. in 1976, leaving Nipper behind. (As anyone who has ever tried knows, moving a 1,700-pound dog statue and accompanying sheet-metal phonograph is not easy.) It was then that Jim Wells swooped in. Wells was a Virginia amusements dealer and collector -- he's the person who brought the carousel to the Mall. He was entranced by Nipper. For six years, he pestered D&H with offers to buy the mighty pooch. In 1976, he finally persuaded D&H to let him have Nipper -- for $1. Wells's coup incensed Baltimore officials, including then Mayor William Donald Schaefer. Nipper was a Baltimore landmark, they said, and didn't belong in a front yard in Virginia. But Wells said he had acquired Nipper fair and square. He offered to trade it for a steam calliope that reportedly was gathering dust in a Baltimore warehouse.

At first, Fairfax County was not keen on its new attraction. "They considered it a sign," Eva said. "But it wasn't a sign. We had to go to court a couple of times. Finally they agreed that it would be called a 'monumental structure.' " Nipper sat in front of the Wells house at 8731 Lee Hwy. for 20 years. "Oh, people admired it," Eva said. "They would come and take pictures under it." In 1996, Wells decided to retire, and the couple decided to move. He offered Nipper to Fairfax officials, but they wouldn't meet his price. Instead, he sold it to Baltimore's City Life Museum for $25,000, a tidy return on his investment. Of course that didn't include the cost of moving Nipper from Baltimore and the repair work the tattered statue required.

(Pix are Nipper in Fairfax - and after moving back to Baltimore.)

(story from WaPo - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/07/AR2009110702807_2.html)

Now, THAT'S a BIG NIPPER!

nipper rt 29.jpg Nipper-Balto-MD.png
 
And yet, a 10' high Big Boy outside a Frisch's is clearly a sign, and permitted... (although as a commercial thing.)
I'll stick with my 18" high one for now.
 
I've always wanted a replica of the original painting that Nipper is from. Decades ago, I believe it used to hang in an office (of the CEO) at EMI, or wherever it was. (Memory ain't what it used to be.)
 
That is awesome. I wish I could see it.....I have some old nipper things. Even one of the Gamewell boxes, but never saw anything like this.
 
I was recently at a garage sale when I asked if they had any vintage stereo equipment for sale and was told they had a system in the basement I could check out. Unfortunately the equipment was in pretty bad shape. I did however see this guy sitting in the corner and asked the homeowner if they would sell him. The statue belong to the wife and she was happy that someone interested in music wanted him. She then said she would like to get $20 for him which I quickly paid before carrying Nipper to my car. Turns out they had bought the statue more than 25 years ago and had him sitting under their grand piano. Because they were downsizing and moving to a condo they were happy that Nipper was going to a good home! I am aware this is a reproduction but a well done one. Chalk and heavy.

View attachment 1263314 View attachment 1263315 View attachment 1263316
very cool. I would be happy with one of the chalk copies. Now you need to find an old horn to sit in front of him.
 
Back
Top Bottom