• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Picked up three turntables this weekend. Dual, Garrard, Technics - and questions.

tiga

Super Member
Yesterday at an estate sale I picked up a Garrard Zero 100, a Technics SL-235 and a Dual 1229Q. All were pretty dirty and neglected, and the Dual looked like a cat was sleeping on it LOL. All were cheap though and I thought would be fun projects. Today I verified the Technics works however it had a hard time holding speed. I took it apart and did some cleaning/lubrication and deoxit. The new belt should be here tomorrow so I'm hoping it will be ready to go. I have a friend in my men's bible study group interested in getting into vinyl and this might be something good for him. It's missing the single spindle so I'm on the lookout.

I think the Garrard looks amazing and from what I've read they are pretty good tables - any words of wisdom on getting this one fully functional?

I've been wanting a Dual 1229 ever since I restored a 1019. I didn't really pay attention that this was a "Q" model - which I've now learned that this is for a Quad set up. I know nothing about quad tables - can I still use this for stereo listening? Do I need a specific sled/cartridge to make it work? Thanks for any help with these.

Dual 1229Q.jpgGarrard Zero 100.jpgTechnics SL-285.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I agree with Sgt Shultz, the Zero 100 is the prize. A classy looking table but could be the most time consuming to rehabilitate.

The 1229Q is OK but it's not one that turns my crank. I got one back to working condition for a friend once and concluded there were more plastic parts in it, like the speed control whereas the counterparts in the older 1000 series were metal. I have a fondness for Dual's but primarily for the 1009 and it's derivatives. But since a 1229Q was top of the line in it's day, it would be good candidate for resale. Being newer, it is more Hi Tech than the top of the line model(s) that preceded it. Maybe it has a quad compatible cartridge mounted? It does not need to have one as it will be totally fine with a stereo cartridge.

Last for me is the Technics. I do not attribute any advantage to that brand other than it would also be easier to sell - purely because of the name. But it might be the easiest of the three to put right. And it will play a record and that's probably the main objective of your friend with the budding interest.
 
Last edited:
Funny,

IMO the Dual is the best unit by far. It will take quite a bit of time, but little cost to make into a wonderful turntable that you can stack several of your non mint records on and enjoy an hour of music at a time without constantly getting up and down to flip records. Very cool system.

****** Caution: do not attempt to move the single or multi switch until cleaned and lubricated properly. ******

MATERIALS LIST:
1) isopropyl alcohol
2) metal polish
3) q-tips *a lot of them
4) baby wipes or lysol wipes
5) synthetic grease
6) lightweight oil
7) new rca cords
8) Steuerpimple from eBay about $20
9) Deering ring support o-ring about $10
10) plastic polish for the lid Pick one - maybe novus 2 and 3 $25
11) Rubber Renew $20
12) stain touch up pen
13) wax or feed and wax for the plinth

There are numerous articles on here to get you through the process.

Items that will need attention include:
1) clean the signal path free of black oxide starting at the headshell all the way to the rca outputs.
2) main platter bearing and the mechanism while you do it. The mech is accessible and easy to clean away old waxy greasele and sparingly relubricate.
3) motor bearings - easy to do.
4) new pimple
5) replace broken oring
6) adjust pully height
7) dress the idler tire with rubber renew
8) clean the inside rim with alcohol

First time is a lot of work. I have done too many to count.

Tools:
7mm nut driver
Long thin flat bladed precision screw driver
Regular flat blade screw driver
Soldering iron
Dental pick
Large flathead
Rags
Pliers / hemostats
Multimeter

Makes for a very rewarding weekend project And is stunning when finished.

The technics would make a great first table for your friend.
 
The Q in the 1229Q merely means that the wiring is the low capacitance needed for quadraphonic cartridges, otherwise it’s basically the same as the standard 1229. No issues using it for stereo.
Of those three the Dual is the best if in good condition, but it will be a bit of work to get it running. Warning, do not try to move the single/multiplayer lever before restoring the Dearing ring, as this may break the mechanism.
There are great restoration instructions both here and on Vinyl Engine.
The Garrard has a wonderfully inventive tonearm, and just look great. It also has the sled for the cartridge which is very important as they are hard to come by. I have held back from buying one as replacing the sled was about the same as the tt. The weakness of the tonearm are the many linkages necessary to make it work, so it’s a bit wobbly. Great idea on paper but in real life the Dual tonearm is better. That said, I would definitely keep both ;)
The Technics is probably competent, they usually are, and would make a fine first turntable. I don’t know how complicated the changer mechanism makes any restoration but all three will need to have all old grease removed and a complete lubrication.
Good find, and good luck with the restorations.
Edit: I see that Smiley beat me to it, and with a very practical answer. Good job.
 
We have gone here before.
Do not dress or undress a Dual idler wheel with anything.
If it needs more than a light sanding to remove the surface oxidation, get a new one.
Out of these three, the Dual has the best arm. Very low-mass and low-resonance.
I cannot imaging how the aluminum trim or even the enamel paint on the thing would clean up. Yours is toast, unless it looks are not important to you.
I have had this one from new.
IMG_1287.jpeg
 
Well, the DUAL does look a bit rough. If the corrosion is not too bad a glass fiber pen is a good tool for cleaning it off, though it can’t remove any cratering.
Personally I would rather have a slightly unsightly Dual than no Dual:)
Even in its present condition it would make a good spare parts machine.
 
I agree with Sgt Shultz, the Zero 100 is the prize. A classy looking table but could be the most time consuming to rehabilitate.

The 1229Q is OK but it's not one that turns my crank. I got one back to working condition for a friend once and concluded there were more plastic parts in it, like the speed control whereas the counterparts in the older 1000 series were metal. I have a fondness for Dual's but primarily for the 1009 and it's derivatives. But since a 1229Q was top of the line in it's day, it would be good candidate for resale. Being newer, it is more Hi Tech than the top of the line model(s) that preceded it. Maybe it has a quad compatible cartridge mounted? It does not need to have one as it will be totally fine with a stereo cartridge.

Last for me is the Technics. I do not attribute any advantage to that brand other than it would also be easier to sell - purely because of the name. But it might be the easiest of the three to put right. And it will play a record and that's probably the main objective of your friend with the budding interest.
The Dual 1229Q is the prize. The Garrard was not their best (The 301 and 401 are the gems). Technics is OK but DC motored belt drive. The Dual restored and maintained well you will enjoy!
 
The Zero is mostly the same story as any other changer, lots of cleaning of bad grease and it will probably work just fine again. The contacts for the sled are a bit crappy and the sled itself isn't so awesome so be careful with it. Pencil eraser on the sled will do fine, but cleaning the fingers up in the arm must be done very gently or they will bend. Unless the contacts are clean though its prone to having dead channels or random drop-outs

pay special attention to the stuff around the size selector. If the linkage up in there is sticky it will tend to drop at the 7" position. There is also a linkage that looks like a set of calipers, the spring there can get weak and cause this too but make sure everything is free before messing with that.
 
The Z100 is the prize. Compared to a Dual 1225 I had, the Z100 is easier to get up and running. And once running, sound the best. Also, spare sleds are plentiful for the Z100s. Speed adjustment with a strobe is an advantage. I’ve not had to play with the tonearm bearings; they’re all perfectly fine. I now have 3 Z100s up and working fully. On all 3 the idlers were perfect. Not hardened. 2 have the changers working perfectly. All but 2 of my cartridges work and sound great. Those 2 use 0.75 grams VTF. I use the Shure M95HE most often.
 
Congratulations on a great haul there!

I second posters about the Z100 being the prize. But to be honest I have no experience with the other two.

But the Z just combines coolness and looks with actual fine performance in a way few other decks do.
It's the sort of turntable your neighbour doesn't have.

Regarding giving it a good service, there is series of YouTube videos that's very helpful.

Finally: if you find the drive to noisy (rumble) new motor mounts made of silicone is really helpful. AK User Tothmes sells them.
 
Great pickup, you just need a Made in USA BIC to complete the international grouping. The dirt looks like a good cleaning will make the nice and shiny. The Technics might be worth the most, especially since you have the 6" 33 spindle, too bad you don't have the other ultra-rare, often lost 45 spindle.

Sometimes you need to work the table speed controllers over a few days to get the speed to be more reliable. Technics are usually bullet-proof but sitting a long time can make them finicky.
 
Funny,

IMO the Dual is the best unit by far. It will take quite a bit of time, but little cost to make into a wonderful turntable that you can stack several of your non mint records on and enjoy an hour of music at a time without constantly getting up and down to flip records. Very cool system.

****** Caution: do not attempt to move the single or multi switch until cleaned and lubricated properly. ******

MATERIALS LIST:
1) isopropyl alcohol
2) metal polish
3) q-tips *a lot of them
4) baby wipes or lysol wipes
5) synthetic grease
6) lightweight oil
7) new rca cords
8) Steuerpimple from eBay about $20
9) Deering ring support o-ring about $10
10) plastic polish for the lid Pick one - maybe novus 2 and 3 $25
11) Rubber Renew $20
12) stain touch up pen
13) wax or feed and wax for the plinth

There are numerous articles on here to get you through the process.

Items that will need attention include:
1) clean the signal path free of black oxide starting at the headshell all the way to the rca outputs.
2) main platter bearing and the mechanism while you do it. The mech is accessible and easy to clean away old waxy greasele and sparingly relubricate.
3) motor bearings - easy to do.
4) new pimple
5) replace broken oring
6) adjust pully height
7) dress the idler tire with rubber renew
8) clean the inside rim with alcohol

First time is a lot of work. I have done too many to count.

Tools:
7mm nut driver
Long thin flat bladed precision screw driver
Regular flat blade screw driver
Soldering iron
Dental pick
Large flathead
Rags
Pliers / hemostats
Multimeter

Makes for a very rewarding weekend project And is stunning when finished.

The technics would make a great first table for your friend.
This is a great list - thank you! I can't wait to dig into the Dual. I really enjoyed restoring the 1019 for my daughter - this list you provided will be really helpful!
 
The Q in the 1229Q merely means that the wiring is the low capacitance needed for quadraphonic cartridges, otherwise it’s basically the same as the standard 1229. No issues using it for stereo.
Great to hear - thank you! So any 1229 sled should work?
 
Congratulations on a great haul there!

I second posters about the Z100 being the prize. But to be honest I have no experience with the other two.

But the Z just combines coolness and looks with actual fine performance in a way few other decks do.
It's the sort of turntable your neighbour doesn't have.

Regarding giving it a good service, there is series of YouTube videos that's very helpful.

Finally: if you find the drive to noisy (rumble) new motor mounts made of silicone is really helpful. AK User Tothmes sells them.
Thanks - I like the description about it being the sort of table your neighbor doesn't have - lol. I think it looks amazing and can't wait to start on it. Thank you for the link on the restoration video!
 
The Technics might be worth the most, especially since you have the 6" 33 spindle, too bad you don't have the other ultra-rare, often lost 45 spindle.
Actually it came with two 33" changer spindles, an overhang guage, AND the 45 changer spindle! Kind of shocked what these spindles are going for on ebay.
 
Back
Top Bottom