• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Picked yet another pair of speakers - Polk Monitor 7

Club Polk is chock full of Polk nuts willing to give you a hand rebuilding the crossovers. I found a pair of monitor 4 speakers and with their help was able to get them sounding like new again. In fact the guys at Polk are also really helpful. I called them looking for a replacement woofer for a 30 year old speaker and the guy says "I think we have a few of those still on the shelf" and sure enough, he did! Customer service is top notch. I have never even bought a brand new Polk speaker and they treated me like I was their only customer!
 
Just noticed you have an EQ in your set up, you can always adjust your sound to take the edge off the tweeters.There is a lot of mods for Polks out there for you, great support either here at Audiokarma or the Polk owners forum. Remember everyones ears here different and everyones got an opinion, most members are happy to help and will not steer you wrong.
 
Have you actually compared the different tweeters and if so in what models?

Have you upgraded crossovers and if so in what speakers using what components?
 
I've changed the SL-2000's to RD-0194's in my Monitor 5's. Also upgraded the caps, resistors, and replaced the Polyswitch with a .5 ohm resistor. Purchased these speakers new in 1987, and I intend to keep them. There is a marked difference in the sound, even to my 60 yr old non-audiophile ears. The harshness is gone. Much easier to listen to for extended periods. Lots of detailed information and pics on the Polk website. Do thread searches as I did, and you should be able to do the upgrades fairly easy.
 
Thats right - this is a disease, - as much as I try to not buy new speakers, they just seem to find me. A couple of weekends ago, I spotted these on a local CL. At first I passed, but later in a day I saw that they are still there, so I thought I give them a new home. Plus I never had Polks af any kind or vintage and these are the ones that seem to be the favorites of many, I told my wife - I have to try these - price was just too good to pass. And off I went. A very pleasant older gentleman was selling these and he was the original owner. Speakers are in perfect condition - not a mark on them! All drivers work. I only this weekend had a chance to hook them up and what can I say? - I'm pleasantly surprised. They seem to be the speakers that sound good with many different kinds of music. I was not sure if I would like their passive woofer (yet I'm very happy with the KG-4's passive radiator), but it seems to do a good job. For now (at least) these took place of my Advent Heritage Speakers and I can say - I'm not in a hurry to return the Advents to this setup. Listening to the Savoy Brown on these Polks right now (played The Who before that) - and loving it!


I read a lot of posts about re-capping these as well as some other updates, but I'm not in a hurry to open them up just yet. They sound good as-is. Plus I have never tried to do a re-cap, so dont want to mess things up. Will see what future will bring, but for now - they are playing as they are:



I just got a pair of these myself, and I was less than happy with the bass response. Just curious about what your setup was?

Also... I'm very happy that my pair already came with the 194's. Imaging wise, it's incredible. There have been a handful of times where the sound was so lifelike I was startled and looked behind me to see if my roomie was playing tricks on me.
 
I just got a pair of these myself, and I was less than happy with the bass response. Just curious about what your setup was?

Also... I'm very happy that my pair already came with the 194's. Imaging wise, it's incredible. There have been a handful of times where the sound was so lifelike I was startled and looked behind me to see if my roomie was playing tricks on me.
Make sure that the cabinets are airtight. The bass response should be tight with no Boom Boom Boom like crappy car audio or Cerwin Vega speakers.
 
Make sure that the cabinets are airtight. The bass response should be tight with no Boom Boom Boom like crappy car audio or Cerwin Vega speakers.
We've been trying to surmise the precise reason for the less-than-spectacular first impression the Monitors gave me here (http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/80-for-polk-m7.789282/page-2#post-10895124). I'm pretty sure the speakers are ok, I've checked the seals and placement, etc.

It could be, as some have suggested, that I need a beefier amp (hence my querying the OP on his setup here). Right now it's hooked up to my Sherwood S-7100A which is only 25WPC. It sounds passable with the loudness switch on and the bass gain turned way up.
 
We've been trying to surmise the precise reason for the less-than-spectacular first impression the Monitors gave me here (http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/80-for-polk-m7.789282/page-2#post-10895124). I'm pretty sure the speakers are ok, I've checked the seals and placement, etc.

It could be, as some have suggested, that I need a beefier amp (hence my querying the OP on his setup here). Right now it's hooked up to my Sherwood S-7100A which is only 25WPC. It sounds passable with the loudness switch on and the bass gain turned way up.
I would have to agree about the receiver which is real nice, I had one a few years ago. The Monitor 7's will like more watts than that. I hooked mine up to a tube amp and while it was a nice sounding combination, lacked oomph. When I hooked them up to 125 watt Yamaha M45 and then 170 watts M65 amp they came alive and showed what they could do.
Excellent that you already have the RDO-194 tweeters, that puts you ahead of the curve.
 
I had to jump in again w/ a different nom de plum. When F-1 gives advice he gives it w/ the expectation that it does get absorbed and w/ little challenge. Why, he knows just about every generation of SDA their guts what they should sound like and definitely most floor stander to tower speakers of Polk lineage. Of course one could say it's all subjective but if asked for advice from an uber knowledgeable dude I would sway that way. Trolls he has absolutely no use for.We've dooked it out a few times over at Polkvile but he knows way more than most. So your choice old dry scratchy sl 2000 or the more easy to listen to RDO-194s. Side note, me personally have SDA Bs and changed them out for the 194s and had a set of original 7s and thought the Peerless were smoother....Lew
 
I have 7c's but I pulled the Peerless tweets from a pair of damaged Cizeks and used them. Just wonderful now.
 
Amazing how incompetent Polk was to produce such defective speakers and sell tens of thousands of them. Not a single FR response ever provided to show the 7c with the spike . Fortunately Polk is here to sell you a replacement. Double profit, first the good tweeter then you can by a tweeter that replicates a wool blanket over your box. Fun. Can anyone cough up a FR response for the 7c? Certainly Polk should have one.
 
I have both Monitor 7 & 10 with original peerless tweeters and they are never leaving my house. If folks like the SL2000 tweets that's ok-everyones tastes are different!
 
Back
Top Bottom