• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pickering System Series Cartridge - what can you tell me about this?

redpackman

Active Member
I picked up a JVC semi-automatic turntable tonight with hopes of bringing it back to life. Mounted on the tone arm was this Pickering System Series cartridge. What can you tell me about it? From the little I've read it probably dates from 50+ years ago.

I haven't fired it up yet because the turntable needs a few tweaks (the spindle was absolutely stuck) but an alcohol clean up followed by some good oil freed that up nicely. Now for a belt and we'll see how it sounds....or doesn't. What should I expect?


P1020862.jpg
 

Attachments

  • P1020861.jpg
    P1020861.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 76
  • P1020863.jpg
    P1020863.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 78
  • P1020864.jpg
    P1020864.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 75
  • P1020865.jpg
    P1020865.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 76
Register to hide this ad
It's the same cart as the Stanton 600. A 2 coil model. In terms of quality, it was between the 500 series at the lower end, and the 681's at the higher end. It's generally considered a good performer, but nothing special. I have several of them.
 
Update: I got the turntable going tonight. The cartridge really sounds good to my ears. Good full sound. I'm impressed, particularly when I consider its age. It tracks well too.
 
The Pickering name for this was the V15-Micro IV or V-15 Phase IV. I think the "System Series" branding was applied to OEM carts, but its still the same generator.

The DSE1 stylus is a 1-2 gram tracking elliptical. Not sure the dimensions but it should be pretty decent performance-wise.
 
I have the same cartridge -- well, I think I do. It looks exactly the same but just says Pickering on each side. Wanted to update the stylus, which on mine was unbranded. Looking at other threads here and on another forum, it appears that numerous styli will work with it. I picked a stylus from pcgear that says it's for Pickering D IV AME ... some people said go ATE and other options but this one was in stock, priced decently etc. Have spun a few records on it without any tracking adjustments needed and sounds good, fingers crossed.
 
I’m using the Stanton version of it (Stanton 600) right now - with a fresh, original Pickering AME stylus. I find it to be a really nice sounding cartridge with a surprisingly full range. Then, I’ve liked all the Stanton/Pickering moving iron cartridges I’ve tried.
 
The System Series was so called because it had a choice of 4 different snap on mounts. It had mounts for Garrard (2), Dual, and 1/2” mount.

But at its core, it’s an MI cartridge, a 2-coil precursor to the later 4-coil XV15.

Styli for the XV15 fit and work perfectly on the V15 Phase IV/ System Series. Styli for the Stanton 680/681 won’t fit, due to the “hook” on the stylus grip.

With DSE-1 stylus, a 4x7 elliptical the same as the later XV15 400E:
B30D6725-9FCF-4B7A-96D3-E880D6E0BDC2.jpeg


With the D400 stylus for the XV15:
822DEEE9-E4F2-42A4-824C-E5193837FAC8.jpeg
 
My XV15 D400 tracks at 1.5 grams. My 1200E tracks at 1.1 grams. Add 1 gram for the brush.

For the System Series, the DSE-1 tracks at 1.5 grams.
 
Genuine XV-15 styli work, but do not measure as well as the proper styli. Separation will be down around 15dB as opposed to 35dB with a proper V15 Micro Phase IV stylus. Still probably sounds excellent.

Aftermarket XV-15 styli work very well and so do XSV styli. One of my favorite styli for these cartridges is the LPG Vividline for the XSV/3000.

It’s a fantastic cartridge no matter what anyone says and a rare tripole design. The rear pins are weak though. Do not use a spinning motion when installing or removing clips or you can wind the wires inside the cartridge up around the interior pin and inadverdently break them. Only push and pull clips on and off.

Where do you get this information?

Other than the brush, the DSE-1 stylus is identical in every way to the D400 stylus for the XV15. I know because I have them.
 
The poles are arranged the same. Just coming from 2 coils vs 4 coils. No different than 2 coil AT vs 4 coil AT carts.

So….Since the grip, cantilever, tip, suspensions, armatures are identical in the Phase IV vs XV15 styli, and even the poles are arranged the same, tell me exactly how the styli are different? What accounts for *your* separation difference?


Visually, yes. But have you personally tested the styli in different bodies for separation and made notes?

I certainly can’t hear greater separation in the IV, nor do I measure more separation, nor do I see specs that say the separation in the IV is greater. I can, however, using the same exact stylus, hear better detail retrieval from the XV15.

Show me the greater separation of which you speak. Should be interesting!
 
Show us. We want to see your readings.

Never mind. Easily manipulated. So we’re left believing you because you say so. Not because there are engineering differences; there aren’t.

XV15 D400:
2C8A1572-2FFC-405E-8DF1-0DE0450F6DCC.jpeg


System Series with D400 stylus:

283709F8-FE84-4596-A5EF-4A1583740388.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom