• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pickering TL-2S Cart

I just came into possession of the Pickering TL-2S cart and was looking for some info here on AK but the search function came up with nothing. I'm hoping to get some general info about this cart and a good replacement stylus.

Is this cart worth buying a new stylus especially since it's a P-mount? It currently has a DTL-2S stylus but the needle has broken off.

Thanks,
Tony
 
Register to hide this ad
I just came into possession of the Pickering TL-2S cart and was looking for some info here on AK but the search function came up with nothing. I'm hoping to get some general info about this cart and a good replacement stylus.

Is this cart worth buying a new stylus especially since it's a P-mount? It currently has a DTL-2S stylus but the needle has broken off.

Thanks,
Tony

Here is a nice review of it.
http://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Phono-Cartridge/Pickering/TL-2S/vinyl/73/734346.html


Here is another one
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=4782.0
 
If I'm not totally wrong here, the TL2S body is basically a Stanton 681 or Pickering XV-15 in P mount trim. If you're not running it on a P mount table, then any of the Stanton 681 or XV-15 stylii will work in it. If you are running it on a P mount rig though, you're limited to either the proper Pickering stylii or whatever Stanton's equivalent was. I like the sound of the Stanton 681, so my 2 cents would be to run it if you can find a decent stylus at a decent price. The huge downside to these things is that they have been out of production a while, so stocks of NOS/OEM stylii are limited.
 
If I'm not totally wrong here, the TL2S body is basically a Stanton 681 or Pickering XV-15 in P mount trim. If you're not running it on a P mount table, then any of the Stanton 681 or XV-15 stylii will work in it. If you are running it on a P mount rig though, you're limited to either the proper Pickering stylii or whatever Stanton's equivalent was. I like the sound of the Stanton 681, so my 2 cents would be to run it if you can find a decent stylus at a decent price. The huge downside to these things is that they have been out of production a while, so stocks of NOS/OEM stylii are limited.
Stupid question but why does it matter how you have it mounted? If a replacement stylus fits the cart then why does it matter whether it's a P-mount or standard mount?

Thanks!
 
If you are going to put the cartridge in a p-mount adaptor then mount it on the Technics it doesn't matter. If you are going to use it as a p-mount in a p-mount TT it does matter as it has to track at less than 1.5 grams.
 
Thanks for the link. Are you running the TL2 has a P-mount or using the adaptor for a standard 1/2" mount?

I am using it as a P-mount. My Technics SL5 is a smaller linear tracker P-mount only

I don't know what kind of turntable you're using and whether or not P-mount is your only option. P-mount cartridges are supposed to weigh 6.0 grams and designed (if I recall correctly) to run at a tracking weight of 1.25 grams.

My TL-2 with the LP Gear vivid line stylus weighs 6.1 grams, close enough for me :D

If you have a tone arm with a 1/2" mount you have a lot more options, but the Pickering TL-2 is a very nice (in my opinion) Moving Iron cartridge.

Stuart
 
I am using it as a P-mount. My Technics SL5 is a smaller linear tracker P-mount only

I don't know what kind of turntable you're using and whether or not P-mount is your only option. P-mount cartridges are supposed to weigh 6.0 grams and designed (if I recall correctly) to run at a tracking weight of 1.25 grams.

My TL-2 with the LP Gear vivid line stylus weighs 6.1 grams, close enough for me :D

If you have a tone arm with a 1/2" mount you have a lot more options, but the Pickering TL-2 is a very nice (in my opinion) Moving Iron cartridge.

Stuart
Thanks for the clarification as I now understand. :thmbsp:

I will probably be using the cart on a Sony PS-FL7 linear tracker that I found at a Goodwill. The turntable needs a little overhaul first, so in the meantime I might try it out on my Technics table with the 1/2" mount.
 
Back
Top Bottom