• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pickering TL-3 DTL-3 info wanted.

Rhubarb

a spinnin' an' a grinnin'
Hello all,

It's been a while since I've posted, or even lurked for that matter, but the other evening while having a few cocktails I pulled the auction trigger on a Technics SL-5 with a Pickering TL-3. $38 later and it arrived at my house nicely pack and in safe and fairly decent condition. I have been wanting to play around with a linear table for while...but alas, it is not in usable condition as it is. :(

The cantilever on the TL-3/DTL-3 is bent, which seems my luck with these Stanton/Pickering tube cantilevers, I received a Stanton 680 with a bent cantilever as well.

From what I can tell these two carts are very similar...anyone have any info, opinions, recommendations, etc on the TL-3/DTL-3 cart and stylus?

Thanks!

HPIM3929.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
The best stylus for these is the Stereohedron. There's also an elliptical option. Big problem is, it is a discontinued cartridge. The 681 succeeded it in the lineup. There's even a broadcast conical and a heavy duty conical option. They sound superb and track very well. Worthy of a good stylus replacement.
 
This was Pickering's p-mount version of the XV-15, and can swap stylii with those models as well as the Stanton 680/681 and the Stanton L7x7 p-mount series. I was recently using one of the black-bodied TLs with a Stanton L74S stereohedron stylus (meant for the L747S p-mount cartridge) and it sounded very nice. I've also have good results from a DTL-2E stylus I bought from Garage 'a Records.

The DTL series of stylii come in two different shapes, tall and narrow like the one you have, and also a shorter and wider shape with the hole on the side for a brush. Both will work on the TL cartridges.
 
The TL-3 is a nice cartidge and will accept many Stanton/Pickering styli. Here is a partial list of styli the will "work" with your TL-3:

D6800EE, EEE, D6800EEE MK3, D6800EEE-S
D72E, D73E, D73S, D74S, DTL-1, DTL-1E, DTL-2S, DTL-3S, DTL-4S
D6E, D7E, D8E, D1200, D625, D-11-S
 
OK, since I am cheap bastard, I ordered an Audio-technica AT 92ECD from Amazon. I've read quite a few positive things about this cart and at the low price of $18.95, I couldn't not give it a try...I also bought a reissue of Smashing Pumpkins "GISH" on vinyl to get the free shipping.

I'm looking forward to checking out this bargain cart...perhaps one day I'll cough up the cash for a stylus for the Pickering.
 
AT-3482P is a better option for some LPs. Carbon cantilever, conical diamond. Good for marginal surface condition. Maybe best bargain in T4P cartridges :)

Picker is nice unit. D625 is good stylus for every day use :)
 
AT-3482P is a better option for some LPs. Carbon cantilever, conical diamond. Good for marginal surface condition. Maybe best bargain in T4P cartridges :)

Carbon fiber sounds cool. Aren't most of the stylii on these AT carts mostly interchangeable? Most of my surfaces aren't too marginal. :)

AT-3482P
This .7 mil conical cartridge fits P-mount turntables. A versatile entry-level cartridge that delivers outstanding performance. Specifications: • Frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz • Channel separation: 24/15 (dB at 1 kHz/10 kHz) • Vertical tracking force: 1.0-1.5 grams • Stylus construction: Bonded round shank • Recommended load impedance: 47,000 ohms • Output: 5.0 (mV at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec) • Channel Balance: 1.5 dB • Stylus shape: 0.7 mil conical • Cantilever: Carbon fiber • Mount: P-mount.

AT92ECD
This .3 x .7 elliptical cartridge fits both Half-inch and P-Mount turntables. Specifications: • Frequency response: 15-27,000 Hz • Channel separation: 29/18 (dB at 1 kHz/10 kHz) • Vertical tracking force: 1.0-1.5 grams • Stylus construction: Bonded round shank • Recommended load impedance: 47,000 ohms • Output: 3.5 (mV at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec) • Channel balance: 1.25 dB • Stylus shape: 0.3 x 0.7 mil elliptical • Cantilever: Alloy tube • Mount: Universal.

I was really thinking about the AT311EP too, same as the AT92EDCD but with a 5.0 mV output.
 
Yes, the stylii from all of the p-mount and "universal" (p-mount with an adapter) cartridges currently manufactured by Audiotechica will interchange.
 
Little bit of a follow up...

I installed the new cart and spun a bit today. The bottom end on the AT-92ECD is lacking when compared to my M91ED with a replacement Ed Saunders stylus. I suppose that the AT is gonna need some break-in or perhaps I need to turn up the tracking force a bit...

Overall though, this setup does sound very nice. Excellent representation of voice. Who would have thought this Matell-looking SL-5 with an $19 AT cart could sound this good. It is destined to be my garage deck.
 
Back
Top Bottom