• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pickering V-15 Cartridge

nsgn007

Active Member
I picked up a dual TT with a V-15 pickering cart, no stylus in it , trying to fine which stylus this takes... a internet search for pickering brings up a multitude of different models numbers for V-15.. now mine says it is a V-15 FG... do the letters mean anything important to which stylus this takes? because I have not found a listing for a V-15 FG... any help is appreciated
 
Register to hide this ad
You can still find some original styli for the V15 at Voice Of Music. The owner, Gary, is a good guy who will help you, but I would recommend an original over the (cheaper)aftermarkets. The 604-DEC would work very well for $32.

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/cat...=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=Pickering&Categories=

FYI styli for the Stanton 500 also will work, although originals for it are also not made anymore and difficult to find.
 
Hi thanks , I did speak to Gary, I did buy a generic 604 and it does nothing but dance around on the records... I sent a picture to Gary and he says I need the 604D7M which is the 40 dollar one ... ouch , I looked on flea-bay and found a seller that was selling one for 15 bucks... but the pictures showed a 604D7C when I asked the seller he claimed they are the same .... when I questioned him on it...and pointed out the needle shank on the D7M is shorter than the D7C he went into a rant about how he has been in the business with 40 years experience and blah blah blah ... so I have to think about 40 bucks for a TT that will be lucky to get played a couple times a month... because it will not be my daily driver ....
 
Hi thanks , I did speak to Gary, I did buy a generic 604 and it does nothing but dance around on the records... I sent a picture to Gary and he says I need the 604D7M which is the 40 dollar one ... ouch , I looked on flea-bay and found a seller that was selling one for 15 bucks... but the pictures showed a 604D7C when I asked the seller he claimed they are the same .... when I questioned him on it...and pointed out the needle shank on the D7M is shorter than the D7C he went into a rant about how he has been in the business with 40 years experience and blah blah blah ... so I have to think about 40 bucks for a TT that will be lucky to get played a couple times a month... because it will not be my daily driver ....

What do you mean by "dance around"? That it was skipping? Not tracking? Sounds like a tracking force issue.What 604 did you get? What are you tracking at? You can track all of them at 3g or better. Are you using a scale or just going by the arm dial which often is very inaccurate?
 
What do you mean by "dance around"? That it was skipping? Not tracking? Sounds like a tracking force issue.What 604 did you get? What are you tracking at? You can track all of them at 3g or better. Are you using a scale or just going by the arm dial which often is very inaccurate?
Yes it is skipping grooves here and there ... I bought generic pfanstiehl 4604 DC7 and I am running it at 5 grams using a gram scale.. the old stylus plays way better ... I ordered another just in case I got a bum stylus
 
Yes it is skipping grooves here and there ... I bought generic pfanstiehl 4604 DC7 and I am running it at 5 grams using a gram scale.. the old stylus plays way better ... I ordered another just in case I got a bum stylus

Had to be. The generic might not sound as good as an original, but they don't skip around assuming there is nothing wrong with them.

And you don't have to run at 5g. 3 should suffice on any Dual table.
 
If you can find a Pickering DAC3 original at a good price, go for it.

I have several originals and I like those heavy tracking conicals the most.
They just sound right on that old body design.

I can't comment much on the knockoffs, but most will agree it's a crapshoot.
 
Back
Top Bottom