• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pickering XV-15 Advice Needed

I have a Pickering XV-15/200E cartridge I acquired second-hand recently with its original stylus. Since I plan on giving this cart a home in my brother's Dual 1009F, I started looking at replacement styluses and could use some guidance:

It appears that a higher grade stylus (D625E or D750) would be compatible. Were there differences in the XV-15 bodies, or did the suffix simply indicate the grade of stylus included?

I would also appreciate any feedback as to what brand and/or vendor has better quality replacements, as I've seen a lot of "no-name" stuff out there.
 
Register to hide this ad
You are correct in that the bodies were all the same and only differed by stylus. As to which dealer has the most reliable styli for this particular cartridge, I cannot answer that.
 
Any of the stylii compatible with the Stanton 680 & 681 series carts also work on the Pickering XV-15. See the second row on the chart on this page:
http://www.kabusa.com/STANTONX.HTM

I have an XV-15 on my Dual 1229, and would to upgrade from the D400 stylus to the 625E or something comparable when it is replacement time.
 
Thanks folks for the help.

I took the Grado Gold off of my Pro-ject 1.2 and have been listening to the Pickering (with its 200E stylus.) It sounds very good, the bass is more restrained then the Grado; the highs are very clear. Smooth is the word that comes to mind. I don't think I would be disappointed if this were my only cartridge. It will certainly be a step up from the original M91E on the old Dual.

I will get a 625 stylus in the next 30-60 days and let y'all know how it turns out (watching my budget these days!)
 
You can always drop by TurntableNeedles.com and see what Steve has on offer. He has free shipping on small parts like styli and belts and such. He may have some good aftermarket styli and last time I looked, he had some OEM 625s :)
 
Add another vote for the 625E as the best value. That model is 2 steps up from the 200E, with the 400E in the middle. The 750E is even better but a good step up in cost.

A 625E has been on my Dual 1019 for years and I have no plans to replace it. It has a new (three months ago) stylus on it and it never disappoints.
 
Back
Top Bottom