Derrick111
New Member
Hello everyone. I am restoring a Pilot 240 I acquired, and need some advice on both filter and signal caps.
First, I was thinking of replacing the two cans (80uf / 40uf 400v and 20uf / 40uf / 40uf 350v) with two 50 / 50uf 500V cans and one single 80uf mounted underneath. The idea being that the 50uf sections in the new cans are close to the three 40uf of the original cans. The the remaining 50uf section of the new can would then be used for the 20uf section of the old can. Lastly I would use a separate 80 or 100uf single cap underneath for the remaining 80uf of the old can.
(question #1)
My question is, will increasing the original 20uf value to 50uf have any adverse effect? I am not well versed in how doing something like this could adversely effect things in the audiophile world and want to understand before I place my order. I realize that I can get multisection caps made by CE with closer values, but they are much more costly then the very good quality F&T they also have.
(question #2)
What signal caps are suited for an amp like this without going the super expensive rout that some people take? I can get Solen Fast Caps pretty cheap, as well as standards like orange drops, Mallory for good prices at CE, but are these a joke in the audiophile world?. I spent a while reading about this and mostly tend to see more expensive or harder to obtain caps then through my trusty CE Distribution. One review I did found on Solen FCs said they were good but could be "smeary" on top end and lack mids if used in some places
I noticed that the signal caps inn there now are a combination of black molded, brown beans, and paper caps. I pretty much always assume 50s/60s paper caps are leaky and replace as a standard practice... I was thinking I would put something in place of the paper caps for now to fire it up and see how it works/sounds, then consider replacing some or all of the signal caps as another project. However, if something available at CE where I'm ordering from now has something considered at least decent, I will get those to replace the paper caps now. Thoughts?
Thanks!!
First, I was thinking of replacing the two cans (80uf / 40uf 400v and 20uf / 40uf / 40uf 350v) with two 50 / 50uf 500V cans and one single 80uf mounted underneath. The idea being that the 50uf sections in the new cans are close to the three 40uf of the original cans. The the remaining 50uf section of the new can would then be used for the 20uf section of the old can. Lastly I would use a separate 80 or 100uf single cap underneath for the remaining 80uf of the old can.
(question #1)
My question is, will increasing the original 20uf value to 50uf have any adverse effect? I am not well versed in how doing something like this could adversely effect things in the audiophile world and want to understand before I place my order. I realize that I can get multisection caps made by CE with closer values, but they are much more costly then the very good quality F&T they also have.
(question #2)
What signal caps are suited for an amp like this without going the super expensive rout that some people take? I can get Solen Fast Caps pretty cheap, as well as standards like orange drops, Mallory for good prices at CE, but are these a joke in the audiophile world?. I spent a while reading about this and mostly tend to see more expensive or harder to obtain caps then through my trusty CE Distribution. One review I did found on Solen FCs said they were good but could be "smeary" on top end and lack mids if used in some places
I noticed that the signal caps inn there now are a combination of black molded, brown beans, and paper caps. I pretty much always assume 50s/60s paper caps are leaky and replace as a standard practice... I was thinking I would put something in place of the paper caps for now to fire it up and see how it works/sounds, then consider replacing some or all of the signal caps as another project. However, if something available at CE where I'm ordering from now has something considered at least decent, I will get those to replace the paper caps now. Thoughts?
Thanks!!
Last edited: