• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pilotone AA-906

tubeblue

Member
I am new at this forum. I joined in order to try and find out any information I can about a monoblock power amplifier I have. It is a Pilotone AA-906. It has push pull 6550 outputs with 6sn7 drivers. It also uses 0d3 tubes as voltage regulators. Big Iron and well built. I like the sound better than my Harman Kardon Citation II actually. The output trannies are not ultralinear I suppose that is where the 0d3’s come in. I am a nuclear instrument & control technician. I am also a guitar player and have been working on my own guitar amplifiers for years. I have built a few from scratch .. my favorite being the Fender tweed era amplifiers. I put together a Pro replica that I love. I wish I knew more of the theory and electronics as applied to audio and greatly admire those that do. I do have enough knowledge to keep all the audio toys I have up and running though. Back to the Pilotone AA-906, if you have ever had or seen one of these please let me know. I can find absolutely no documentation on this amp . If you know of this amp please contact me.

Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Register to hide this ad
you might also want to ask up at the pilotone yahoo group. someone overseas might have seen one...
 
I have a 1956 Radio-Electronic Master catalog that lists a AA-904, but not yours. Maybe try an old amateur "ham", or an old electronics nut.
 
Here is a photo of the amplifier Pilotone AA-906
View attachment 77142
View attachment 77143
View attachment 77144
If you're still looking for info on your AA-906, the PS section in the 905 is about the same; the 904, too. Of course, the regulators make a difference, but the Allen 90 schematic provides some guidance here. Also, the 905 and 904 use pretty much the same 6SN7 inverter-driver circuitry, so these drawings provide another piece of the puzzle. Also, the 905 is fixed-bias, like the 906, so you can use this schematic for that area as well.
I was going to draw my own schematic for the 906, but after studying those extant, and making a concession to my laziness, I decided to just make mental notes as I plod along and make reference to the 905 and 90.
If you ever decide to unburden yourself of your amp, drop me a line.
Regards,
Keith
 
I stand corrected Sir. Sorry. I must have missed that listing.

Wow....that older gear (early-mid 1950's) has its own look/vibe.

The Pilot gear does have some resemblance to Fisher gear of the same era.
 
Aa-906

WOW I missed that auction.. I have been looking for years for a mate for that amp. I use it as ipod amp... makes those mp3s sound amazing.. I honestly think it is better sounding than a Harman Kardon Citation II that I own
 
Yeah, I saw them too but decided to back down. I have a pair of Dynaco MkIII amps with Poseidon driver boards and Classic Valve Design power supply boards for bias/balance. They sound fantastic, and according to Pete Millett The output iron is flat down to 5hz. I figured, how much better could the Pilot's be? I hope I don't find out! :tears:

I still have an AA-904 and a pair of AA-901's to rebuild. Hopefully that will keep my mind off the AA-906's.
 
Yes, sometimes the wait to "match up" a pair can take years....but sooner or later....

Love the Pilot gear! :yes:

A Pilot 780 tuner just came up on Ebay....first one I've ever seen on ebay.....

I'd like it to match up with my Pilot 248B.

Hope I'm not bidding against any fellow AKers....I can't stand bidding wars!

:D
 
WOW I missed that auction.. I have been looking for years for a mate for that amp. I use it as ipod amp... makes those mp3s sound amazing.. I honestly think it is better sounding than a Harman Kardon Citation II that I own

OT: Years back I was searching for a rare output transformer to match one I owned. I had an auction watch for years but never got an alert. We went on vacation that summer for 10 days and I was not online the entire time. Got home to discover a transformer had come up and sold for the single opening bid. I could not believe it. Eventually I did find one, you will too. Patience.....
 
I have one. I've been looking for a mate for it for 20 years. I wish I'd seen the one one eBay. I would have paid quit a bit more for it if it was in good condition (the photos are gone).
Now that I'm downsizing, I will probably place mine on eBay as well.
It's rather a defeat, it's the only monoblock I've been unable to match.
 
AHAHA... Found the match for my Pilotone AA-906. Won it on an eBay auction last night ...haven't gotten it yet...but baby I am stoked. Here is a link to the auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301839764241?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

For any AA-906 owners out there my plan is to layout a detailed schematic for this unit.. I had a power resistor fry on my unit and had a hell of a time replacing it.. trial an error and it still runs too hot. .. Sounds great but too high gain. I will resolve this now as I have incentive to tune these boys up for duty. Thanks for the responses over time on my quest to match this amazing rare classic. Once I get this unit and have it restored I will post photos and the schematic.. cheers
 
I have scanned a drawing I did of the component layout of the AA-906. I am slowly cleaning it up and will be using the layout drawing for a schematic. Any input would be most helpful.AA906layout2.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom