• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pilotone AA-906

tubeblue

Member
I have a Pilotone AA-906 made by the Pilot Radio Corp.. It has push pull 6550 outputs with 6sn7 drivers. It also uses 0d3 tubes as voltage regulators. Big Iron and well built. I like the sound better than my Harman Kardon Citation II actually. The output trannies are not ultralinear I suppose that is where the 0d3’s come in. I am reposting to this thread to ask if anyone has one of these ? I would love to get a schematic for it. I can not find any info anywhere on the web about this beast and am starting to wonder if it is extremely rare or if i have a prototype. Any help?
 
Register to hide this ad
Could be rare, I haven't heard of a pilot amp with 6550's.
(but I certainly could be wrong)

I'll be watching with interest..
 
It is honestly a very powerful great sounding power amplifier.. Here is a picture of it:
<br>
aa906a.jpg

<br>
aa906c.jpg
 
Last edited:
That's mono isn't it? It sure looks it, but your use of OTs plural threw me off, & it almost looks like it has too many small tubes. :scratch2: I have an early mono Pilotuner, that's actually a tuner/pre, that might easily be the mate for that. I'll run down to the basement, & check on the model # for ya in a bit. :smoke: EDIT: It's an AF-824 I see, so maybe not a "match" after all. This has a cool hammertone finish, does the amp?
 

Attachments

  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Hiya,

OMG I am such a sucker for anything with those cool Glowing VR's

That amp looks awesome and it needs a friend. Start searching .. I know its now on my radar.

Frannie
 
OOps..yea its mono..I wish I had another.. I do have an AA-904 that mates up w/ it ok..but not near the power or low end punch..I use this w/ my Iphone..straight in ..no preamp and I can blow the paint off the walls..ha ha
 
I thought Jack (whiteSE) had a pair of these once upon a time. They may have been 904's and not 906 though.

Nice looking amplifier you have there and good luck in your search for another! I've got a Pilot AA-908. It's mono EL34 and have been looking for a mate for it for some time. I had not come across a AA-908 for about 2 years until last month when a couple did finally pop up for auction. You don't see these big Pilot monos a lot but keep the faith. Your patience will be eventually rewarded. You may have to bring the fat checkbook though ;)

There is a Pilot Yahoo group out there that may be able to answer some of your questions. There are lot's of Pilot knowledgeable folks hanging out there.

RC
 
I joined the Yahoo Pilot group to see if I could find some info on the AA-906 but no one..not one member had heard or seen one. Anyway when I get in amp construct mode again I am going to schematic this thing out..thnxx
 
Actually, on the pilot group, people had heard of it, they just weren't able to point you to a schematic, IIRC.
 
As a first stab at this thing, based on the tube compliment and voltage rating of the filter cap installed, I'm betting that it is rated at 50 watts if using fixed bias (although I don't see any controls for such), or about 40 watts if cathode biased (although the OPT looks more like a 50 watt unit). It likely uses a classic Williamson style front end, pentode output stage operation, with an operating B+ of ~ 435 vdc, with a regulated screen voltage of ~ 300 vdc. A typical design based around these ideas would usually have an input sensitivity of ~ 1.0 vac or a little less. Finally, based on the size of the OPT, it should have one of the best power bandwidth performance figures of all the Pilot gear that I know of!

Dave
 
Pilotone aa906

I have a Pilotone AA-906 made by the Pilot Radio Corp.. It has push pull 6550 outputs with 6sn7 drivers. It also uses 0d3 tubes as voltage regulators. Big Iron and well built. I like the sound better than my Harman Kardon Citation II actually. The output trannies are not ultralinear I suppose that is where the 0d3’s come in. I am reposting to this thread to ask if anyone has one of these ? I would love to get a schematic for it. I can not find any info anywhere on the web about this beast and am starting to wonder if it is extremely rare or if i have a prototype. Any help?

Hi there, I have one AA906 still looking for another one myself.
 
Back
Top Bottom