• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneed PL-12D Humming/possible grounding issue

Amedeo Felix

New Member
Hi, I have an issue with my Pioneer PL-12D producing a pronounced hum. I have read threads on it, and people experiencing only one channel of hum and issues suggested to be the motor. However, with mine the hum seems to be both channels, it can go away when I fiddle with the ground wire such as remove and replace, and/or touch it to other things like the audio terminals. It goes but then it comes back, and it is there before I turn the platter motor on so cannot be feedback from motor noise. Is it likely the ground wire is simply loose inside the turntable?

Any advice is most welcome.
 
Register to hide this ad
Not specific that piece, but I'd check interconnect connection points, internal side as well. Also all connection points (headshell to arm ,headshell to cart.
Could be as simple as dirty loose connections. Let me ask , if you unplug the power to TT but have it connected to system on does noise go away. If so it likely rules out motor ( though some units short cables when off so if that were the case , it could conceivably still be the motor.)
 
Back
Top Bottom