• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Pioneer 727 with low volume when turned up about 3/4 of the way.

dgsq82

New Member
Hi,

This is my first post, I am a rank amateur at repairing solid state equipment but I am determined to learn. I recently acquired a Pioneer 727 and it lights up and the relay clicks but I have to turn the volume up all the way to get a faint but clean sound. This problem is present on all channels and through all inputs. I have cleaned the pots, burnished the relay (it appeared clean), checked the output relays (they tested good), and swapped the jumper with reliable rca’s with no effect on the issue. I have a soldering station and multimeter and enough knowledge to know that I don’t know enough. What is my next step? Any help is appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
Download the service manual from hifiengine for free.
Check the power supply voltages and examine the circuit boards for cracks.
 
Download the service manual from hifiengine for free.
Check the power supply voltages and examine the circuit boards for cracks.
I have the manuals coming and I have inspected the boards. No tell tale signs of cracking or questionable solder joints.
 
Pull the rear preamp jumpers and run a source in directly to see if the problem is in the amp or preamp section.

Also, did you check all the fuses?
 
Pull the rear preamp jumpers and run a source in directly to see if the problem is in the amp or preamp section.

Also, did you check all the fuses?
I did check the fuses for continuity and did a visual inspection all appear intact and sounded off. Checking the preamp is a procedure I am not completely clear on. I have an adjustable volume source readily available in the form of an iPad and a y-cable do I just remove the jumper and plug that into the input?
 
If you have an audio signal generator (or you can use your iPod) start from the preamp jumpers and work your way backwards.
I’d look around the tape loop switches.
Look for broken wires where they connect to the PCBs.

Since it happens on both channels I’d look at the power supply (and where it goes to the preamp board).
 
If you have an audio signal generator (or you can use your iPod) start from the preamp jumpers and work your way backwards.
I’d look around the tape loop switches.
Look for broken wires where they connect to the PCBs.

Since it happens on both channels I’d look at the power supply (and where it goes to the preamp board).
Gonna have to dig back in next weekend. Between the 8-5 and 4 month old time to tinker is pretty limited. Thanks for the advice I will take a close look at board and all of its links to other boards.
 
The front panel switches ALL have signal going thru them on the 727. Get some DeOxit Dn5 (D5) and some CRC226 Electronics lubricant. (It's a hell of a lot cheaper than Faderlube (F-5), works pretty much the same and can be had at Home Depot or Lowes in the Electrical Dept. Then read up on cleaning switches, pots, etc., in this thread........https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-idiots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/. You may have to clean each switch, and pot multiple times to get all the environmental crud off the contacts.

Another source for Free PIONEER MANUALS. No registration needed. And most of the HI-FI Engine PIONEER stuff was gotten from here that I can see. http://www.kallhovde.com/pioneer/Pioneer/Main scan page.html
 
Back
Top Bottom