• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer Amps, which one?

pecata35

New Member
Hello all Pioneers :D

I want a new(old) amp. The amps which I can find near me at reasonable price are:

A 7
A 70 (but one tone control seems to be broken so I think I'll skip it)
A 88x
SA 706
SA 708
SA 7800

I will be listening them to HPM 700
I wanna know what are your opinions on these amps? is one better than the other sound wise? which is more musical etc etc?
 
Register to hide this ad
The only one that I have personal experience with is the SA-7800. I bought one new in 1981 and it served me well for 12 years driving HPM-100 and Klipsch Heresy II speakers. It's a nice looking amp that performs very well.
 
The only one that I have personal experience with is the SA-7800. I bought one new in 1981 and it served me well for 12 years driving HPM-100 and Klipsch Heresy II speakers. It's a nice looking amp that performs very well.
Thanks, I like how this amp look. I hope I can hear it soon.
 
From mentioned ones I can vouch for SA-706. Suuuper powerful nice little Amp.! I sold it many years ago but I still do own it's little brother, SA-506. Basic model, nothing special but also extraordinary sounding Amp. for it's size and specs. All these Pioneers from that 1970's/80's era have fine sounding phono stage. Actually they sound fine all over! From the bigger models I can additionally tell you that SA-6500II, 7500II and 8500II (thre's also 9500II model but I don't have one so I can't say anything but it is superb as well, no doubt, as it is the biggest model from x500 series) are also worth considering buying. At the moment I have connected 8500II. Two little brothers are all cleaned up and stored for occasional swapping and enjoyment. IMHO those blue fluo-displays (in 708 and 7800) are nice but I am more of a VU display or no display kind of person! Hopefully you'll pick one you like best, have it overhauled and restored completely and enjoy for the next decades to come! ;-)
 
If I can find a
From mentioned ones I can vouch for SA-706. Suuuper powerful nice little Amp.! I sold it many years ago but I still do own it's little brother, SA-506. Basic model, nothing special but also extraordinary sounding Amp. for it's size and specs. All these Pioneers from that 1970's/80's era have fine sounding phono stage. Actually they sound fine all over! From the bigger models I can additionally tell you that SA-6500II, 7500II and 8500II (thre's also 9500II model but I don't have one so I can't say anything but it is superb as well, no doubt, as it is the biggest model from x500 series) are also worth considering buying. At the moment I have connected 8500II. Two little brothers are all cleaned up and stored for occasional swapping and enjoyment. IMHO those blue fluo-displays (in 708 and 7800) are nice but I am more of a VU display or no display kind of person! Hopefully you'll pick one you like best, have it overhauled and restored completely and enjoy for the next decades to come! ;-)

If I can find a 8500II at reasonable price I would pick it up too but for now I can find only the mentioned above and nor the A-88x because the guy sold it
 
I would go with A88X. Too bad it is gone.
Was comparing A88X with a Luxman R117, Sansui AU-G99X powering Magnepan MGIIIa, found A88X to be my best. Got 2nd one lately but only paid 1/4 of price comparing to the first one. The only thing wrong with the 2nd one is line direct light bulb is out. So either I paid too much for the first one or good deal on 2nd one. Very funny.
also have 2 SA8100, nice as well, but a little brighter to me.
 
Back
Top Bottom