• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-BS21-LR Bookshelf speakers for $42 after rebate

Mystery

constantly upgrading...
Newegg has Pioneer SP-BS21-LR Bookshelf Loudspeakers (Pair) on sale for $69.99 - $30 rebate = $39.99. Shipping is $1.99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405

82-117-405-TS
 
Register to hide this ad
The SP-BS22-LR's are highly regarded. I wonder how the 21's stack up.

Not as well. The BS41's were the darling of the first series. Andrew Jones redesigned the 21's for a reason, and hit a home run with them, as we all know.
 
Newegg has Pioneer SP-BS21-LR Bookshelf Loudspeakers (Pair) on sale for $69.99 - $30 rebate = $39.99. Shipping is $1.99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405

82-117-405-TS

Great deal, those sound way above their price point at full retail. I use them on my desk top, they replaced the Axiom 22's. I've put them in my main system and was really surprised at how nice and balanced they sounded.

Here's a take on them and the newer bs22 model in Stereophile:

Comparisons
I no longer had the SP-BS41-LRs in house, but Pioneer provided me with samples of the SP-BS22-LR's predecessor, the SP-BS21-LR ($129.99/pair), so that I could compare Andrew Jones's design approaches. I also listened to the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 ($350/pair) and the Epos ELS3 ($350/pair when last offered).

The older Pioneer had a very similar tonal balance to the SP-BS22-LR, but was somewhat mellower, with a bit less detail. The SP-BS21-LR's bass was just as clean, but the SP-BS22-LR went a little deeper. The newer speaker also had more refined highs, superior high-level dynamics, and a greater sense of decay.

The Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 was more warm, rich, and airy than the SP-BS22-LR, with more delicate and detailed mids and highs, but the new Pioneer bettered it in the low bass. The two speakers' dynamics were equally good.

The Epos ELS3 was a level beyond the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR in refined, delicate, and sophisticated inner detail, but its bass extension and high-level dynamics were inferior to the Pioneer's.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker-page-2
 
Is the really low efficiency at 84 db a concern for a low to mid wattage system? I'm thinking of pairing them on a 40 wpc amp. I'll admit I don't know a ton about speakers and I'm curious as to whether low efficiency speakers need more wattage, or if they'd just be more detailed, but quieter? If there's a thread on speaker efficiency someone can point me to, I'd be thankful.
 
Is the really low efficiency at 84 db a concern for a low to mid wattage system? I'm thinking of pairing them on a 40 wpc amp. I'll admit I don't know a ton about speakers and I'm curious as to whether low efficiency speakers need more wattage, or if they'd just be more detailed, but quieter? If there's a thread on speaker efficiency someone can point me to, I'd be thankful.

They will play to around 100 dB with a 40 watt receiver. If you like it loud and clean these are not a good choice.
 
Thanks for the help. It doesn't have to get super loud, especially because I imagine if I try to crank the volume in a console I'll start getting turntable rumble and possibly some feedback issues, but I think I'll keep looking.
 
Back
Top Bottom