• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer AS-302 kitset speaker.....

slimecity

Super Member
Anyone have/had a pair of these?

I scored a pair here in NZ. All drivers work, they just need a good clean up, some cabinet refinishing, and probably a recap.

Metal dome midrange, fairly unusual......

In testing with my Sansui AU-555a, they had kick-arse, very tight & controlled bass, the mid/tweet sounded good too - the pots need a clean.

Very interesting looking speakers. This is all I can find on them: https://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/unit/as-302-e.html

1269748366.jpg 1269748396.jpg 1272659577.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
These things are interesting. I have ended up with some rare and unusual gear lately.

Both the midrange and tweeter are metal dome, and look very heavy-duty and industrial. These speakers sound pretty good too.

I started sanding the veneer back with the aim to restore it, but quickly buggered that up. So Im going with painting these in an industrial black - with durable duratech speaker cabinet paint.

The crossovers have been recapped and the connectors were broken - so new banana terminals inserted.

The woofer and even the midrange have decent-sized magnets on them.....

Pictured part-way thru the repaint.

IMG_20200307_160923.jpg IMG_20200307_162613.jpg IMG_20200309_185221.jpg IMG_20200309_185234.jpg IMG_20200309_185733.jpg
 
Thanks for posting the pictures.
Since they appear to be kind of rare this might help someone in the future.
 
Pics of the finished speakers. I didnt want to get rid of all the veneer as the stuff on the front is still in good condition. I will probably also need to coat the fronts with the duratech paint, which seems a shame....

1289029847.jpg 1289029878.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom