• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer Centrex

This is an old thread, but it seems to get attention every few years. I found other threads knocking all things made under this pioneer brand, but I wanted to add another opinion about the Centrex MCL-3. When I got these I thought they were an upscale version of pioneer, they looked like they were. These speakers I'm listening to look better made and sound better than most pioneers I've heard from the early 80s. I've been going through a lot of speakers this weekend including EV Aristocrat and Esquire, HPM-100, B&W 802, Klipsch Heresy and Cornwalls, JBL S99, Dynaco a25, and so on. I'm not saying these little bookshelf speakers belong on that list, but I'm mentioning those to say when I sat down to listen to these little bookshelf speakers after hearing these others all weekend, I was pleasantly surprised by them and listened through an album or two and still thought they sounded fairly good. They also look good with the rosewood veneer. I think if someone is looking for smaller budget speakers, these are a good choice.
 
I'll take an opportunity to say, since the thread has been recently bumped : that the CL-70 are very decent speakers.
 
This is an old thread but here are three pics of a pair that just came up locally. The woman was trying to sell along with SX-680 and junky sankyo cassette for 300. I offered her 50 for the speakers which I thought was generous. She went and listed separately for $200 then quickly dropped to $150! At 30w nothing spectacular and I remember here in Cleveland the Best catalog showrooms selling these in 1980's but really dinky magnets on them from a woofer I just saw for sale on ebay. Thought I would share pics if anyone is searching in the future
 

Attachments

  • Pioneer Centrex CL-70 pic 1A.JPG
    Pioneer Centrex CL-70 pic 1A.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Pioneer Centrex CL-70 pic 3.JPG
    Pioneer Centrex CL-70 pic 3.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Pioneer Centrex CL-70 pic 2.jpg
    Pioneer Centrex CL-70 pic 2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 20
Someone has been looking at lisings on eBay. She may have better luck by renting a van and hitting the shopping center parking lots....
 
Someone has been looking at lisings on eBay. She may have better luck by renting a van and hitting the shopping center parking lots....

LOL Yeah but no listings on Ebay she found one on reverb.com for 180 so thinks she will get rich! And now the listing has changed to a guys name. A flake or meth head so i'm steering clear of this one.
 
Back
Top Bottom