• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Pioneer component longevity expectations

Dr. Strangelove

Super Member
Banned
Ever wonder how long a component lives before it is replaced or discontinued?

I ran a query against the data.

Code:
Age	#Components
20	1
13	1
10	3
15	4
12	4
9	10
11	11
8	30
7	33
6	86
5	163
4	506
3	667
2	959
1	1256

BTW, the component that lasted the longest was the SE-205 headphones; 20 years.

Doc
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
In the database, I have defined 21 groups (of components). Each group has a start date of 1954 and a end date of 2005 (a total of 52 years). I left the groups in the query by accident. So, that particular line (21 components for 52 years) should be deleted, which I have done.

Thanks for catching that.

Doc
 
Doc -- Any data on how long (with normal use) one would expect a component (by type) to last? For example, SX-780 made in 1981... expected life?
 
No, no data on that. The query that I ran against the database was just to see how long components were actually marketed.

Doc
 
Back
Top Bottom