• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer CS-77A

Jailtime

Standin' on a corner
Well, I'm new to vintage audio, so a near mint set of Pioneer CS 77A speakers is my first vintage set. I rescued them from a friend that was going to turn them into wood for other projects. So I'd like to know if these are a quality speaker to build my 70's audio system around.
 
Register to hide this ad
Welcome to AK jailtime. I owned a pair of those several years ago. Hook them up, use and enjoy them until you find something better.

The cabs were pretty ratty on mine, so they served garage duty.
 
I owned a pair of these at one time and gave them to a co-worker.While they were a beautiful looking speaker.I would use them until you come across a better sounding speaker.Which should not take too long.I just think there are a lot better speakers out there.
 
awesome avatar, superdog. got a few suggestions for better floor standing speakers for under $150 on ebay?
 
Thank you jailtime.I really don't know about that site as I browse but have never bought anything there.Remember that shipping speakers is probably not cheap.If you look at my signature nearly everything came from thrift stores.If you are just starting in vintage use the Pioneers until something better comes along.What are you powering them with?I have become partial to JBL speakers but there are many nice sounding speakers out there.Kind of depends on your what music you like and what you are powering them with.
 
I have a set of CS-77's that I had refurbed a couple of years ago. It was my first set of vintage speakers. I would agree with the above, that they are beautiful, but they are not particularly good sounding. I feeel that the main problem is that they resolve poorly in comparison to say, The Advent. Mine are in great shape and have been fully restored, including new capacitors.

That said, I think that they do some things well. I find them to be fairly nuetral in their frequency response. No offensive frequencies poking out. They are easy on the ears. They image well. They are efficient. They have a sound that reminds me of my childhood (whatever that may mean, it's good).

I can't seem to let mine go. Enjoy without reservations.
 
I have a pair of 77s. I think they sound pretty darn good. I also have a pair of 99a's and think the 77s are much better. You could do much worse. Enjoy them!
 
Back
Top Bottom